Real point finger at United over De Gea

Date published: Tuesday 1st September 2015 10:52

David de Gea: Could carry on playing under Louis van Gaal

David de Gea: Could carry on playing under Louis van Gaal

Real Madrid have defended their conduct over the failed £29m bid to sign David de Gea and accused Manchester United of “holding up the deal”.

United and Madrid had agreed a deal worth £29million for the sale of De Gea to the Bernabeu, with Keylor Navas heading in the other direction.

But that deal fell through after the requisite paperwork was not submitted before the Spanish deadline of 11pm on Monday.

United claimed Madrid were the ones to blame for the collapse of the deal, but the Spanish giants issued a statement on Tuesday condemning the actions of the Old Trafford club.

“Real Madrid has done everything necessary, and at all times, to implement these two transfers,” said Madrid in a lengthy 10-point statement published on their website on Tuesday afternoon.

Madrid claim in the statement that United did not open negotiations with them until Monday morning.

The Spanish club say they then came to a “quick agreement” over the transfer of Navas to United and that of De Gea to Madrid.

The statement adds that Madrid forwarded the relevant contracts to United at 12:39pm BST – over 10 hours before the window was due to shut.

Madrid claim United took over eight hours to return the contracts to them – and they came back with “minor alterations”.

Madrid say they accepted these changes and sent the contracts, with signatures from Navas and De Gea, back to United at 10:39pm.

An agreement between United and Navas was not reached until 10:53pm UK time, according to Madrid, who also claim the English club then did not upload the documents into FIFA’s Transfer Matching System (TMS) until 11:00pm.

Madrid claim they then tried to access the deal via TMS, but were unable to do so as the window had already closed.

Real Madrid have also confirmed they will not appeal to La Liga following the collapse of the proposed transfer.

For Manchester United’s part, they have told Sky Sports News HQ that they signed and sent all relevant documentation on time and that they have the evidence to prove it.

Spanish newspaper El Pais earlier reported that journalist Sid Lowe said that the Spanish federation refused to budge and allow the deal to go through.

“Rules are for everyone… FIFA has no jurisdiction,” is the brief quote attributed to the LFP.

Guillem Balague had also earlier told Sky Sports News HQ a similar story: “La Liga has confirmed that the documents have not reached them on time and, as it stands, the transfer is not going to take place.

“Last night the head of the league went on national radio and spoke. He said of course they can appeal but he didn’t think there was any way that La Liga would change their mind.

“Everything was done and everyone was waiting. David de Gea was at his girlfriend’s house in Madrid, [Real Madrid president] Florentino Perez was at the Santiago Bernabeu.”

Manchester United are now in a situation whereby they have a goalkeeper who doesn’t want to be at the club and will allow his contract to run down and move on a free transfer next summer. A move in January for a cut-price fee is surely far more likely.

Related Articles

Your Say

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *