Harry Redknapp has it eyes set on a potential promotion bid next season, as he looks set to extends his stay at the West Midlands club by a further year.
It is said he has already started plans for transforming Birmingham into promotion contenders next season as he prepares to sign a new one-year deal at the Sky Bet Championship club.
The 70-year-old has been in talks with the Blues and the formalities are expected to be finalised by the end of the week, it is understood.
Redknapp was appointed last month for the final three games of the season after Gianfranco Zola quit, and kept the club in the Championship on the final day when they won 1-0 at Bristol City.
The former Portsmouth and Tottenham boss, though, intends for things to be very different for the new 2017/18 campaign.
“As you know, I’ve agreed a deal to manage Birmingham next season,” Redknapp said in his column for the London Evening Standard.
“If things are going well around Christmas time, and the owners are happy with how things are progressing, I’m sure there’s a chance we could sit down and look to sort out a second year.
“There is a lot to do between now and then, but I am open to longer if the circumstances are right.
“My family realise it is what I enjoy doing and they support me. It can be stressful, of course, but the buzz of Sunday gave me a taste for it again.”
Redknapp will be working alongside director of football Jeff Vetere, whose appointment by owners Trillion Trophy Asia was confirmed on Wednesday.
Steve Cotterill and Paul Groves are expected to remain as part of Redknapp’s backroom staff.
Birmingham are expected to have cash to spend in the summer, even after Zola spent around £10million on new signings in January.
The Italian, who replaced Gary Rowett in December, only won twice in 24 games before quitting following a 2-0 home defeat to Burton last month.
“Planning a promotion push starts now. We need strengthening, for sure, but I won’t have a massive budget. The owners want to have a little bit of a go at it but won’t go crazy,” Redknapp added.
“They will spend money on the right players but we will also have to be clever in using the free transfer market.
“There are already two or three players available on frees I have got my eye on who could come in and do a job for us, but I won’t say who they are at this stage.
“This is a great opportunity at a big club and I want to make the most of it. I wasn’t sure if something suitable would come along again and so now it is here, I just want to get started.”
Press Association Sport