Manchester United may not reciprocate Ronaldo interest

Date published: Thursday 21st April 2016 1:48

Ronaldo Red reunion on hold?

Cristiano Ronaldo may be in favour a shock return to Old Trafford this summer, according to reports, but interest may not be mutual.

Spanish news outlet Don Balon say that the former Manchester United player has been in contact with his agent, asking him to manufacture a move back to Manchester.

This would put the Red Devils in pole position should the Portuguese international choose to leave the Bernabeu in the summer.

Back in November, his agent Jorge Mendes reportedly told Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain that a move for the winger was ‘impossible’ as he would end his career in Madrid. Rumours also surfaced around the same time that Ronaldo may be re-acquainted with old boss Jose Mourinho in Paris.

The links continued and last week French newspaper Le Parisien stated that the two-time Ballon d’Or winner had met with Paris St-Germain’s chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi, forcing Ronaldo’s camp to deny the claims.

Speaking on BT Sport in November, former Newcastle United man David Ginola said he believed Ronaldo would be in Paris for next season.

“I think he (Ronaldo) needs a new challenge,” said Ginola. “I see Ronaldo being in Paris next year. Because they have the money and in terms of the challenge to win the Champions League.

“I know the Qatari investors would like to have Ronaldo at the club, no matter how much it will cost, they will pay for it. And I can also see Mourinho as the next manager of the team. So I think there’s going to be a lot of Portuguese in Paris.”

However Don Balon report that Ronaldo has ‘no intentions’ of moving to PSG due to the slow pace of Ligue 1, ruling a move there off the cards.

So, that leaves a return to Manchester United as a distinct possibility should that be his wish.

It may not be that straightforward however, as Don Balon say that the interest between the club and player may not be mutual, as United have concerns over the financial package involved with bringing the 31-year-old back.

They believe his abilities will begin to decline soon, and subsequently may prefer to invest in more promising young players rather than seal a deal that could be financially crippling for the long-term ambitions of the club.

This may force Ronaldo to sign the five-year extension that El Confidencial say was offered to him earlier in the week.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments