Brendan Rodgers has paid the price for the mistakes of the Liverpool transfer committee, according to former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and Swansea City boss Garry Monk both spoke out in support of Rodgers after news of his sacking broke on Sunday, while former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher suggested the Northern Irishman should have been given 20 games to get things right this season after avoiding the sack in the summer.
Redknapp says Rodgers has” taken the blame for the mistakes of other people” at Anfield.
“In the modern game, it never seems to be the manager who signs the players, it’s just the manager who takes the blame when things don’t work out,” Redknapp told the Daily Telegraph.
“It happens all the time and it is exasperating sometimes.
“Managers don’t have the same say on transfers that they used to, but they are still expected to take the blame if the new signings don’t work out.
“They have these transfer committees, but it’s only the manager who sticks his head above the parapet and he’s the one who gets shot at.
“The other lot just stay in the background, out of sight, but they have huge power. The only time you ever hear from them is when one of the players signed becomes a huge success.
“I don’t think Brendan has signed those new players at Liverpool. They’ve brought in players from Brazil and I don’t think he will have known much about them. He’s just been told they’re coming and he has to get the best out of them.”
Despite several signings made during Rodgers reign failing to justify their transfer fees, there is ‘no chance’ of Liverpool’s transfer committee being disbanded, according to the Telegraph.
Liverpool signings during Rodgers’ reign
- Fabio Borini, £10.4m
- Joe Allen, £15m
- Oussama Assaidi, £3m
- Samed Yesil, £1m
- Daniel Sturridge, £12m
- Philippe Coutinho, £8.5m
- Luis Alberto, £6.8m
- Iago Aspas, £7m
- Simon Mignolet, £9m
- Mamadou Sakho, £15m
- Tiago Llori, £7m
- Rickie Lambert, £4.5m
- Adam Lallana, £25m
- Emre Can, £9.75m
- Lazar Markovic, £19.8m
- Dejan Lovren, £20m
- Divock Origi, £9.8m
- Alberto Moreno, £12m
- Mario Balotelli, £16m
- Joe Gomez, £6m
- Nathaniel Clyne, £12.5m
- Roberto Firmino, £29m
- Christian Benteke, £32.5m
Redknapp believes Liverpool took the decision to sack Rodgers when they did because of the availability of Jurgen Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti – and the 68-year-old reckons Rodgers would have known what was coming, despite the Northern Irishman insisting he felt “secure” in his position when interviewed after the Everton game.
“There is no doubt in my mind that he has lost his job because there are two managers out of work in Carlo Ancelotti and Jurgen Klopp, who all the big clubs would be interested in,” Redknapp added. It made a difficult job at Liverpool even harder.
“He hasn’t been sacked because Liverpool drew at Everton. I thought that was a good result away from home in a derby match. There has been something going on behind the scenes and I’m sure Brendan will have heard whispers on the grapevine.
“When you get the sack, there has always been something going on behind your back and I reckon that is the case this time. For me, either Klopp or Ancelotti will come in and replace him.
“It’s tough on Brendan, though. He has lost his best players. They were desperately unlucky not to win the Premier League a couple of years ago and I would have loved it if Liverpool had won the title that year. They deserved to win it.
“Since then, Brendan has lost Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge has been injured, Steven Gerrard has left and Raheem Sterling has left. Any manager would struggle without players of that quality. Any team would struggle if you took their four best players out. You can’t afford to lose your best players one after the other.”
Discuss Rodgers’ sacking in the relaunched Liverpool Your Say forum.