Ross Barkley’s opening day goalscoring run and Harry Kane’s quiet afternoon stand out in our Premier League stats round-up.
– Leicester City were the first reigning top-flight champions to lose their opening game of the following league season since Arsenal in 1989/90 – the Gunners lost 1-4 away at Manchester United on 19th August 1989.
– This was the eighth occasion that a newly-promoted side had played the reigning champions on the opening matchday of a Premier League season, but the first time that the newly-promoted side has won.
– Hull City became the first newly-promoted team to win on the opening weekend of a Premier League campaign since August 2012 when West Ham beat Aston Villa (1-0).
– Robert Snodgrass scored his first Premier League goal since netting for Norwich City v Liverpool in April 2014 (846 days ago).
– Riyad Mahrez has had a hand in 29 Premier League goals since the start of 2015-16 (18 goals, 11 assists) – only Jamie Vardy (30) has had a hand in more.
– The last two occasions that Riyad Mahrez has scored and Leicester City have failed to win have been against Hull City – today’s game and their League Cup meeting in October 2015.
– The Foxes have taken (14) and scored (11) more penalties than any other team in the Premier League since the start of 2015-16.
– Leicester have played four Premier League games without Robert Huth in their starting XI since the start of 2015-16 and they have failed to keep a clean sheet in all four of those matches (conceding six goals in total).
– Hull City also won on the opening day of their last Premier League campaign in 2014-15 (1-0 v QPR) but they went on to win just one of their following 16 league matches (W1 D7 L8).
– Hull are the first team to win a Premier League game without making a single substitute since Man Utd beat Liverpool in February 2012.
– Leroy Fer netted his first-ever goal for Swansea in his 12th appearance in all competitions for the Welsh side.
– It was also the Dutchman’s first goal since January 2016, when he scored for QPR v Blackburn.
– Since moving to Swansea City in the summer of 2014, Łukasz Fabiański has kept 23 clean sheets in the Premier League; only Joe Hart (29), David De Gea (25) and Simon Mignolet (24) can better this haul.
– In that time, Fabianski has also made 255 saves in the Premier League, more than any other goalkeeper.
– This game was Burnley’s first defeat in their last 24 league games.
– Swansea are unbeaten in their last eight Premier League games played in the month of August (W6 D2 L0).
– Burnley have failed to score in eight of their last 10 matches in the top-flight.
– Salomon Rondon has scored in each of his last three Premier League games, after failing to find the net in his previous seven appearances in the competition.
– Since Tony Pulis took charge on January 10th 2015, West Brom have kept 22 clean sheets in the top-flight, a haul only Arsenal (26), Man City (23) and Man Utd (23) can better.
– West Brom’s last 11 Premier League wins have all been by a one-goal margin.
– Crystal Palace have now lost 13 Premier League games in 2016 (level with Norwich), a figure only Aston Villa (14) can better.
– The Baggies enjoyed their first win in their last 10 Premier League games (W1 D4 L5).
– Crystal Palace have failed to find the back of the net in the first-half of each of their last eight Premier League games and scored only once before the break in their last 13.
– The Eagles have won only one of their last nine season openers held at Selhurst Park (D4 L4).
– Ross Barkley has scored in each of his last three Premier League appearances on the opening MD for Everton (2013-14, 2015-16 & 2016-17).
– Gareth Barry has now appeared in his 20th Premier League season – only Ryan Giggs (22) has played in more, while only Rio Ferdinand & Frank Lampard (20) have played in as many.
– Everton have drawn their last four opening day matches, with Ross Barkley scoring three of their seven goals in this run.
– Erik Lamela has had a hand in seven goals in his last seven Premier League appearances (three goals, four assists).
– Everton are winless in their last eight Premier League meetings with Tottenham Hotspur (D5 L3).
– Kyle Walker has provided an assist in two of his last four Premier League appearances against Everton.
– Harry Kane had fewer touches than any other Tottenham outfield player to start versus Everton (35).
– Michel Vorm’s last two Premier League appearances for Spurs have come on the opening day of the 2015/16 and 2016/17 campaigns.
– Middlesbrough have never won on the opening weekend of a Premier League season as a newly-promoted team (D3 L1).
– Alvaro Negredo has now scored with his first shot on target in the Premier League for both Man City and Middlesbrough.
– Negredo’s strike was Middlesbrough’s first Premier League goal in 2638 days.
– Xherdan Shaqiri scored Stoke’s first direct free-kick goal in the Premier League since October 2013 (Marko Arnautovic vs Man Utd).
– Three of Shaqiri’s four Premier League goals have come away from home.
– Stoke are winless in their last seven Premier League season openers, drawing three and losing four.
– The Potters scored with their only shot on target of the match.
– Stoke have failed to keep a clean sheet in each of their last 11 Premier League games; only in August 2012 have they endured a longer run without one (12 games).
– Shay Given is the third oldest player to appear in the opening matchday of a Premier League season (40y 115d), after Brad Friedel (41y 92d) and Teddy Sheringham (40y 139d).
– Watford have never won on the opening weekend of a Premier League season (D2 L2).
– Southampton have conceded in 13 consecutive Premier League games, their longest run without a clean sheet since November 2012 (a run of 21).
– Watford have had just two shots on target in their last three Premier League meetings with Southampton, with Capoue scoring with their only shot on target in this game.
– Watford are unbeaten in their last 15 Premier League games when they have been leading at half-time (W11 D4).
– Ben Watson received his fourth red card in English league football, and his first since October 2009.
– Indeed, Watson was only on the pitch for 11 minutes and 23 seconds.
– Troy Deeney has been involved in six of Watford’s last seven Premier League goals (four goals, two assists).
– Nathan Redmond has a had a hand in three goals in three Premier League appearances against Watford (two goals, one assist).
– Etienne Capoue scored his first goal for Watford in what was his 37th appearance for the Hornets in all competitions.
– It was in fact his first Premier League goal since his only other goal in the English top flight in January 2014.
– Manchester City have won their last five Premier League meetings with Sunderland.
– Sunderland have never won away at Manchester City in the Premier League (W0 D2 L11).
– Sergio Aguero is the top scoring player in the Premier League so far in 2016 (18 goals in 19 games).
– Aguero has scored four goals and assisted two more in his last four Premier League appearances against Sunderland.
– Pep Guardiola has now won the opening league game of the season as a manager in each of his last seven seasons (three for Barcelona, three for Bayern, one for Man City).
– Jermain Defoe has scored in his 16th different Premier League season – the 8th different player to score in 16+ PL campaigns.
– Defoe has scored in five successive Premier League away appearances – only five players have scored in 6+ successive away apps in the competition.
– Only Alan Shearer (11) has scored more Premier League goals against Man City than Defoe (8 – level with Wayne Rooney, Robbie Keane & Ian Rush).
– Sunderland scored just one own goal in the whole of the 2015-16 Premier League season and equaled this tally on MD1 of 2016-17.
– Manchester City benefited from an own goal in a Premier League game for the first time since April 2015 (44 games ago).
– Paddy McNair scored an own goal just 3 minutes and 35 seconds into his Sunderland debut.
– McNair was the first player to score an own goal on his Premier League debut for a team since Danny Gabbidon for QPR exactly five years ago today (13/08/2011).