Saunders makes bonkers Liverpool-Griezmann claim

Date published: Tuesday 23rd May 2017 12:36

Dean Saunders believes his former club Liverpool could pip Manchester United to the signing of Antoine Griezmann.

The 52-year-old Welshman is convinced the Reds will be “on the list”of the Atletico Madrid star, who looks set to have his pick of clubs this summer.

Griezmann is widely believed to be Jose Mourinho’s No.1 summer transfer target as he looks to replace the injured Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Wayne Rooney, who looks like moving on.

Griezmann, who has an £86million release clause in his Atletico deal, yesterday told French television programme Quotidien a move to Old Trafford was “possible”. And when pressed what the chances of him joining United are on a scale of one to ten, he replied: “Six.”

But former Reds striker Saunders reckons the France international could still snub United and move to Liverpool, who have already qualified for the Champions League.

Saunders told LFC TV: “I mentioned Griezmann and Liverpool will be on his list now.

“He will have a conversation with them if he’s coming to England.”

Klopp has held talks with Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards to discuss his summer targets, but Liverpool are unlikely to be unwilling to stump of the majority of their summer budget on one signing.

They have undoubtedly become a more attractive proposition to potential suitors with a place at Europe’s top table waiting for them – a fact Klopp acknowledged last week.

 

However, Manchester United will boost their own chances of signing Greizmann if they beat Ajax to win the Europa League final on Wednesday as they will also secure Champions League football for next term.

Griezmann, who is contracted until June 2021 with Atletico admitted he will know more about his future within two weeks, but with 26 goals in 53 appearances for Atletico this season he will be welcome addition to the Premier League.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments