Sherwood: I did not have ‘final say’ on Aston Villa transfers

Date published: Sunday 8th November 2015 1:11

Tim Sherwood: Manager sacked by Villa after six-straight losses

Tim Sherwood: Manager sacked by Villa after six-straight losses

Axed boss Tim Sherwood claims he did not have the “final say” on which players Aston Villa signed over the summer.

Villa brought in 12 players during the previous transfer window, including the likes of Jordan Ayew, Idrissa Gueye and Adam Traore, although lost key trio Christian Benteke, Fabian Delph and Ron Vlaar.

Sherwood was sacked last month, with one of the main criticisms of his management being the less than impressive signings, however the 46-year-old says his hands were somewhat tied in this respect.

“I certainly had a say, but the final say? It was more of a combined collective decision and ultimately the man who puts his hand in his pocket is the one who has to make that decision,” he told beIN Sports.

“Randy Lerner has spent an awful lot of his money at that football club for a long, long period of time.

“We ended up signing 12 players, although there was a lot more players given to the committee than 12, and we ended up with what we ended up with.

“I believe that those players in time will be good players for the football club, but when you bring in a lot of players from other countries that have not played and experienced the Premier League before, the competitive nature of it, it is going to take time.”

Should Sherwood have been given more time to get the best out of the new signings? Have your say on our new Aston Villa forum.

Related Articles

Your Say


Comments are closed here.