Sissoko to ‘consider Newcastle future next summer’

Date published: Monday 7th September 2015 10:53

Moussa Sissoko: Has come in for criticism

Moussa Sissoko: Has come in for criticism

Moussa Sissoko has admitted he will consider his Newcastle future next summer after revealing the club “vetoed offers” for his signature during the transfer window.

The French midfielder was linked with some of Europe’s biggest clubs during the summer transfer window – including Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain – and he has admitted there was firm interest to take him away from St James’ Park.

During an interview with France Football, Sissoko was asked if he had received offers this summer, to which he replied: “Yes I did.

“There were clubs – but Newcastle vetoed.”

The interviewer then pressed Sissoko, asking the former Toulouse midfielder whether or not he had “made the right decision” to remain in the North-East.

Sissoko, while laughing, responded: “It could have been a good time to leave.

“There have been discussions (over the summer) with the club, who said they were against my departure, so I stayed.”

Steve McClaren has maintained he intends to “build a side” around the 26-year-old going forward, and it seems Newcastle are willing to support their head coach by rebuffing offers for Sissoko.

Obviously, things are not necessarily that simple at St James’ Park – every player has a price – but unless significant cash is offered for Sissoko in January, his short-term future remains on Tyneside.

Although Sissoko did praise Newcastle’s recruitment this summer, describing it as “very good”, he also hinted that this could be his last season at St James’ Park.

When asked about whether he had reached an agreement with the Magpies to leave next summer, he said: “It’s still far away.

“I have ambitions, but I will first think about having a good Euro 2016, which I hope to win with France.

“And, at that time, I will have all the time for reflection (on my future).”

France will host Euro 2016 and Sissoko is determined to represent his nation.

Reiterating comments made by head coach Didier Deschamps earlier in the summer, Sissoko admitted he was partially persuaded to stay on Tyneside because he is pretty much guaranteed a starting berth.

Sissoko, capped 29 times by France, added: “The coach has said (to me) and repeated: ‘You have to play (if you want to be picked).’

“I took that into account.”

Related Articles

Your Say

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *