Newcastle have conceded two or more goals in six of their last seven Premier League games against Southampton, who have Shane Long back.
Long is available again for Southampton after overcoming knee trouble, but Ronald Koeman is unable to select midfielder Steven Davis because of an ankle issue.
Aleksandar Mitrovic, with two goals last weekend, is set to lead the line for the visitors, who have Jack Colback suspended and Paul Dummett out injured.
- Southampton are unbeaten in five Premier League games against Newcastle United (W3 D2 L0).
- Southampton have only lost once in the Premier League at home to the Magpies (W11 D3 L1).
- Saints have won more Premier League games (14) and scored more goals against Newcastle (52) than versus any other Premier League opponent.
- Ronald Koeman’s side have won five of their last seven Premier League home games (D1 L1).
- Meanwhile, Newcastle are winless in six top-flight games, losing five.
- Indeed, the Magpies have lost their last eight away league games – their longest such run since a run of nine between May and October 1977.
- Saints have scored more headed goals than any other Premier League side this season (12).
- Graziano Pelle has been directly involved in each of Southampton’s last five Premier League goals, scoring three and assisting two.
- Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored three goals in his last two Premier League games, as many as he’d scored in his previous 18 in the competition.