Liverpool have made their worst start to a calendar year for 24 years, while Eden Hazard’s effect is clearly being felt at Chelsea. Opta pick out the best stats from Saturday’s Premier League games.
Chelsea 3-1 Arsenal
- Chelsea have won nine successive Premier League home games and the aggregate score in these matches is 27-4 in Chelsea’s favour.
- Arsenal have lost four of their last nine Premier League games, the same number that they lost in their previous 35 matches in the competition.
- The Gunners have lost seven of their last 10 top-flight matches against Chelsea (W1 D2).
- Eight of Eden Hazard’s 10 Premier League goals this season have arrived at Stamford Bridge.
- Chelsea have won all nine Premier League games in which Hazard has scored this season.
- Chelsea have lost just one of their last 20 Premier League London derbies at Stamford Bridge (W15 D4); succumbing to defeat against Crystal Palace 1-2 in August 2015.
- Arsenal have conceded in each of their last 12 Premier League visits to Stamford Bridge; their longest current run without keeping a clean sheet at an away venue.
- Petr Cech has failed to keep a clean sheet in three of his four Premier League games against Chelsea for Arsenal and has conceded in both meetings at Stamford Bridge.
- Indeed, Cech has conceded more goals in two Premier League trips to Stamford Bridge with Arsenal (5) than in his final 15 PL appearances for Chelsea there (4).
- Diego Costa failed to score in consecutive Premier League appearances for the first time since May 2nd 2016 (3 in a row).
- Cesc Fabregas scored his first ever Premier League goal against Arsenal.
- Arsenal have scored a league-high 13 headed goals this season.
Crystal Palace 0-4 Sunderland
- Sunderland scored as many away goals today (4) as they did in their previous nine Premier League away games combined.
- This was Sunderland’s biggest margin of victory in an away Premier League game since beating Bradford City 4-0 in October 1999.
- Crystal Palace have lost eight of their last nine Premier League games at Selhurst Park, including the last five in a row.
- Jermain Defoe has netted six goals in his last six Premier League games versus Crystal Palace.
- Adnan Januzaj provided two assists in a Premier League game for the first time in his career.
- Crystal Palace conceded four first half goals in a Premier League match for the first time.
- Jack Rodwell ended a Premier League record run of 39 consecutive starts without a victory (for Man City and Sunderland combined).
- Indeed, before today’s win, Rodwell had made 37 Premier League starts for Sunderland without a victory (D17, L20); the longest winless run of starts at a single club (from first start).
Everton 6-3 Bournemouth
- Everton have already won more points at home this season (25) than they managed in the whole of 2015/16 (23).
- Romelu Lukaku has scored the 300th hat-trick in Premier League history.
- Only Duncan Ferguson (60) has scored more PL goals for Everton than Romelu Lukaku (59).
- Lukaku’s first goal of the day was the joint-fastest Premier League goal of the season (30 seconds) – level with Pedro vs Man Utd.
- Lukaku has scored six goals in his last three Premier League appearances at Goodison Park, after a run of four league games without one there.
- This was the first time that the Belgian striker has ever scored four goals in a Premier League match.
- Eddie Howe’s side have lost five of their last six Premier League games away from home (W1 D0 L5).
- James McCarthy scored and assisted in the same Premier League game for the first time in his career.
- Josh King scored his 11th and 12th Premier League goals for Bournemouth; making him the Cherries’ highest scoring player in the competition.
- This was just the second match in Premier League history at Goodison Park to witness nine goals, after Everton 3-6 Chelsea in August 2014.
Hull City 2-0 Liverpool
- Marco Silva has now taken seven points from his first four games in the Premier League, as many as Hull City managed in their 18 league games prior to his arrival.
- Liverpool have won just one of their first 10 games in all competitions in 2017 (W1 D4 L5) – not since 1993 have they gone longer at the start of a calendar year with only a single victory (one win in first 11 games).
- The Tigers kept their first home clean sheet in the Premier League this term, having conceded in each of their previous 11 league games at the KCOM Stadium in 2016-17.
- Jurgen Klopp has now lost five of his last eight games in all competitions; as many as he had in his previous 32 games in charge of Liverpool beforehand.
- Klopp has also gone five consecutive league games without winning for the first time since February 2015 (with Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga).
- Alfred N’Diaye netted on his Premier League debut for Hull; this after scoring just two goals in 134 appearances within the Top 5 European Leagues beforehand (PL, La Liga & Ligue 1 combined).
- Liverpool have conceded the opening goal in each of their last three Premier League games – only between May and August 2016 have they suffered a longer such run under Jurgen Klopp (four games).
- Oumar Niasse has netted his first Premier League goal, on what was his ninth outing in the competition.
- Liverpool had 15 more shots than Hull City in this game (22-7), however managed just one more attempt on target than Marco Silva’s side (5-4).
Southampton 1-3 West Ham United
- After conceding just five goals in their first eight home Premier League games under Claude Puel, Southampton have conceded nine goals in their last four matches at St Mary’s.
- Slaven Bilic registered his 25th Premier League win in what was his 62nd game in charge of West Ham; reaching that win total quicker than any other Hammers boss.
- The Hammers picked up their first Premier League win against Southampton at St. Mary’s since November 2000, having drawn four and lost two of their previous six trips there before this.
- Manolo Gabbiadini’s first Premier League goal was also the 400th goal netted by an Italian player in the competition.
- The Italian has now scored in each of his last three league appearances in European football; his best scoring streak since May 2015 (for previous club Napoli).
- Gabbiadini became the third Italian to feature in a Premier League game for Southampton, with the previous two also being strikers (Graziano Pelle and Osvaldo).
- Andy Carroll has scored four goals in his last four Premier League appearances; the same total he’d netted in his previous 14 games in the competition prior to this run.
- Carroll’s first-half strike was his fourth goal in six away appearances in the Premier League this term; equalling his previous best return in a single season (4 – also scored in 2010/11 for Newcastle and in 2011/12 for Liverpool).
- Pedro Obiang is the first West Ham player to score and assist in a Premier League game this season.
Watford 2-1 Burnley
- The Hornets have netted 2+ goals in three consecutive Premier League games for the first time ever.
- Burnley have won just one point in their 11 Premier League away games this season (W0 D1 L10), netting just five goals in the process.
- Jeff Hendrick’s red card (6 mins) was the quickest in the PL since March 21 2015 (Gareth McAuley for West Brom v Man City – 2 mins).
- Troy Deeney has scored in three consecutive Premier League appearances for only the second time; he scored in four in a row in November/December 2015.
- Deeney has scored in each of his four league appearances against Burnley at Vicarage Road.
- With his assist for Troy Deeney, M’Baye Niang registered his first goal involvement in his last 13 games in league football (since scoring for Milan v Chievo in October).
- Courtesy of Niang’s goal and assist, this is the 10th occasion that a Watford player has scored and assisted in the same Premier League game.
- Ashley Barnes has converted both of his penalty kicks in the Premier League this season, his only two spot-kicks in his PL career.
West Bromwich Albion 1-0 Stoke City
- West Brom have enjoyed six wins in their last seven home Premier League games (L1).
- Since Tony Pulis took over at the Hawthorns on January 10th 2015, the Baggies was registered 13 1-0 wins in the top-flight – the most of any team in this period.
- Stoke have lost four of their last five top-flight away games, with their only win in this run coming at Sunderland last month.
- The Potters failed to find the back of the net for the first time in their last eight Premier League games.
- James Morrison has netted three goals in his last five Premier League appearances, as many as he managed in his previous 29.
- Morrison has now netted five league goals this season, equalling his best season tally in the Premier League (five in 11/12 and 12/13).
- Midfielder Morrison now has 28 Premier League goals for West Brom, a haul only Peter Odemwingie (30) can better.
- Nacer Chadli registered his first goal involvement in his last 14 Premier League games, after scoring four and assisting two in his first five this season.
Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Middlesbrough
- Tottenham Hotspur have won 26 of their last 28 Premier League games against newly promoted sides (D2 L0).
- Tottenham have won each of their last seven home league games, last achieving a longer run in August 2009 (a run of eight).
- Spurs’ current run of home wins is their best run within the same season since December 2006 (also seven in a row).
- Pochettino’s side are still unbeaten in all 12 of their Premier League home matches this season (W10 D2 L0).
- Harry Kane has now scored against 23 of the 25 different opponents that he’s faced in the Premier League.
- Kane has scored nine goals in his last eight Premier League appearances at White Hart Lane.
- Middlesbrough didn’t attempt a single shot on target in this match – the second time that they have failed to attempt on in a Premier League game this season (also vs Everton in September).
- Boro have attempted a league-low 56 shots on target in the Premier League this season; 16 fewer than any other team.