Hull City have confirmed that manager Steve Bruce has left the club by mutual consent after four years at the KC Stadium.
The news comes just days after Bruce was interviewed for the England manager’s job.
“The Board of Directors would like to thank Steve for all his efforts since his appointment in 2012 culminating in a glorious day at Wembley in May which saw the Club bounce back into the Premier League,” an official statement read.
“Steve has excelled in his role – both on and off the field – and will be remembered for being the most successful manager in our history to date.”
Bruce is understood not to have taken training on Friday morning and is said to have told the club he wants to leave after four years at the KC Stadium.
The newly-promoted Tigers’ preparations for the season have been hampered by a series of injuries to key players, while reports have claimed Bruce has been severely hampered in the transfer market by the current owners’ reluctance to release funds while the club is up for sale.
This is the primary reason Bruce is understood to have tendered his resignation.
— Hull City (@HullCity) July 22, 2016
Bruce, whose offer to resign in 2014 following the club’s relegation was turned down, revealed he was unsure of his future after the Tigers’ play-off triumph against Sheffield Wednesday.
Hull chairman Assem Allam, who missed the trip to Wembley after undergoing surgery, has been in takeover talks with two American consortiums and the club announced this week that those had been put on hold to allow them to prepare for life back in the top flight.
But no major new signings have been made with the start of the new season just three weeks away.
Bruce is understood to have sought assurances from the Allam family over the club’s future while his frustrations over lack of player recruitment have grown with goalkeeper Allan McGregor, Michael Dawson, Moses Odubajo and his son, Alex, all ruled out through long-term injury.
Allam first put the club up for sale in 2014 after the FA rejected his bid to change their name to Hull Tigers and due to ill health has delegated the day-to-day running of the club to his son and vice-chairman Ehab.
Bruce signed a new three-year contract in March 2015 and is the most successful manager in Hull’s history, twice winning promotion to the Premier League with the club and guiding them to their first FA Cup final appearance in 2014 when they lost to Arsenal.
He held informal talks with the FA over the England vacancy on Monday before the club issued a statement confirming there had been no official approach.
Bruce said it would be any English manager’s dream job to take on the England role and that his vast experience in the game, on the pitch and in the dugout, made him a worthy candidate.
“I don’t know if it’s going to come but if it does I would love to have a crack,” he told KCOM Sport earlier this week.
“Arguably it’s the right time. I’ve been in touch for something like 800 games as a manager, played 1,000…I’ve been around the block a bit.
“I would hope that would stand me in good stead.”
His coaching career began with brief assignments at Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Wigan and Crystal Palace but he put a reputation for itchy feet behind him during a largely successful six-year stay at Birmingham, who he also led to the Premier League on two occasions.
He went on to manage Wigan again and then Sunderland, who sacked him in November 2011, before he was appointed as Nick Barmby’s successor at Hull in June 2012.