Stoke host Newcastle in their Premier League clash at the Britannia Stadium on Wednesday evening with recent history pointing to a low-scoring game.
Stoke midfielder Glenn Whelan is expected to play in the Premier League home clash with Newcastle despite breaking his nose in Saturday’s win over Aston Villa.
Marc Muniesa is likely to return to the Potters defence after missing the Villa match due to a hamstring problem, while Geoff Cameron (ankle) and Phil Bardsley (calf), who were part of the back line for that game, are being assessed.
Ryan Shawcross (back) is not yet ready to make his comeback, and Charlie Adam (calf), Glen Johnson and Marc Wilson (both knee) also remain sidelined.
Newcastle skipper Fabricio Coloccini will miss out through injury.
Head coach Steve McClaren has confirmed that the Argentinian, along with fellow central defender Chancel Mbemba (ankle), is likely to sit out the next two games with a calf problem.
However, McClaren had some better news on the fitness front after the club’s 18-day break with defender Paul Dummett (hamstring), midfielders Vurnon Anita (hamstring) and Siem de Jong (eye) and strikers
Papiss Cisse (groin) and Aleksandar Mitrovic (knee) all back in training, leaving keeper Tim Krul (knee), defenders Massadio Haidara (knee) and Kevin Mbabu (thigh) and midfielder Gabriel Obertan (hamstring) on the sidelines.
- The last four Barclays Premier League meetings between Stoke City and Newcastle United have seen just four goals scored, with two of the games seeing 1-0 home wins for Stoke City.
- The Potters have won four of the last five Premier League home games against the Magpies (L1).
- Newcastle have won just two of their last 10 Premier League matches (W2 D2 L6).
- Steve McClaren’s side have kept just one clean sheet in their last 11 Premier League games.
- Newcastle have lost 16 of their last 20 Premier League away games (W2 D2 L16) including the last five in a row.
- Only Aston Villa (6) have won fewer points away from home in the Premier League this season than Newcastle United (7).
- In that 20 game run, Newcastle have netted just nine goals on the road and conceded 48.
- Papiss Demba Cisse has scored in three of his four Premier League starts against Stoke and in one of his three sub appearances too.
- Marko Arnautovic has scored six goals in his last eight Premier League appearances at the Britannia Stadium.
- In fact, Arnautovic has scored twice as many home goals this season in the Premier League (6) as any other Stoke City player (Bojan & Walters – 3).
Overall recent form
|Recent League Form||Stoke City||Newcastle United|
|Last five games||WWLLL||LWLLW|
Managers records – all-time
|All-time English Barclays Premier League Record||P||W||D||L||GF||GA||GD||PTS||PTS/P|