Suarez joins Barcelona charm offensive aimed at Coutinho

Date published: Tuesday 19th December 2017 9:32

Barcelona’s charm offensive on Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho is well and truly under way.

Las week Barca star Andres Iniesta welcomed the prospect of Coutinho arriving at the Camp Nou and now former Reds star Luis Suarez says the Brazilian would be a great signing for the La Liga club.

Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho remains on the radar of Ernesto Valverde after the club saw three bids for the player rejected in the summer.

Last week the Barcelona-published Mundo Deportivo claimed Barca would make a €145million January bid for Coutinho, and suggested the 25-year-old has asked to leave Anfield again.

Suarez, who made the switch from Anfield to the Nou Camp in 2014, has no doubt Coutinho would fit in at Barca and he also welcomed the prospect of signing Antoine Griezmann.

“Both Griezmann and Coutinho are elite players that are playing at the top level,” Suarez told RAC105.

“They are where they are for a reason. They’re both young and have long careers ahead of them. And Barca always want the best players.

“If you look at [Greizmann], at Atletico he needs to play with a No 9.

“He’s not a fixed No. 9. Obviously, Griezmann would come here to add to the team and to help the side in the position that the coach wants him to play in.”

Coutinho, who has refused to commit himself to Liverpool, again swerved questions about his future after Sunday’s win at Bournemouth and team-mate Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain stepped in to help him out of a tricky interview.

 

“I always say the same thing – I try to enjoy the moment,” Coutinho said. “I like to play football and every time when I go on the pitch I try my best.”

Oxlade-Chamberlain then interrupted, adding: “He’s a Liverpool player right now and he’s doing really well for us.

“He’s been the most professional person I’ve seen all season; he’s been top quality from the start and every time he gives his all for the club.”

After the 7-0 win over Spartak Moscow earlier in the month Coutinho said: “I do not know how the future is going to be.

“What will happen in January, we will know it in January. I do not know if there will be an offer. I am at Liverpool and I always do my best when I have the opportunity to play, respecting the jersey and the supporters.

“Last summer there was a job offer in the same way that happens with any employee and I was interested in it. Since I stayed, I have played with will and desire.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments