Swerts not put off by League Two

Date published: Friday 26th June 2015 1:09

The Magpies will begin the 2015/16 season in the bottom tier of the Football League after final-day heartbreak during the last campaign as a 3-1 defeat at Gillingham sent them down.

Swerts, a defensive midfielder, had been on Ricardo Moniz’s radar for several weeks and the 32-year-old insists the County boss played a big part in him joining the club – despite relegation.

“Of course when they went down I had to wait and see what was going to happen,” Swerts told the club’s official website.

“But the club kept calling me, the trainer kept calling me and then you have the feeling ‘okay, they really want me’ – which as a player is important.

“The club went down which is a pity, but the trainer (Moniz) told me about his ambition, about the club and how they want to go back up, get the fans back into the stadium and I was sold by his story and wanted to be part of the team.”

Swerts, who has played in the Champions League and has 17 caps for Belgium, has signed a two-year contract following his release by Dutch side NAC Breda.

He says playing in England will fulfil a lifelong ambition.

“A few months ago I could have gone to Arabia for money, but the club (Breda) didn’t let me go.

“Now in Notts, it’s different. The money is a little bit less, but you are in England and everybody wants to play in England.

“Even though it’s League Two I heard from a lot of players who play in England, who I know, that everything about playing football in England is great and once you’re here you don’t want to leave. I wanted to be part of that.”

Swerts is the Magpies’ fourth summer signing after the arrivals of Scot Bennett, Rhys Sharpe and Rob Milsom.

Related Articles

Your Say


Leave a Reply