Torino aware they cannot stand in way of £84m Belotti

Date published: Tuesday 16th May 2017 10:16

Torino chairman Urbano Cairo is desperate to keep hold on Andrea Belotti, but knows if his £84million release clause is met he will lose the prolific striker.

The 23-year-old marksman has had a fantastic season for the Serie A side scoring 25 league goals for the mid-table outfit.

His sparkling form this term has seen Manchester United heavily linked with him, while Arsenal and Chelsea have been credited with an interest in the player.

A report at the start of the month suggested Chelsea were in pole position to land the player, ahead of United, because they would be able to offer Belotti Champions League football.

Torino though are in no rush to cash in on the Italy international, although if a club offers £84million – and they must be a club outside of Italy – then they could not stand in the way of Belotti.

Cairo said: “He’s ours until 2021 and there are no doubts about that.

“There’s a clause (€100million) that if paid by a club abroad would take us out of the decision making process, and if it is not triggered within at certain amount of time we’ll have to decide everything.

“It’s not like we are waiting around for an offer, we want to keep the player period. Aside from the clause, the goal is to keep him- would be better for us and for him.”

Last month Cairo suggested Belotti was happy in Turin and was hopeful of keeping the player for another 12 months.

Cairo told Tuttosport: When I included a €100million release clause in Belotti’s contract somebody thought it was an excessive fee, now they think it’s not enough.

“I think nobody will come here to trigger his release clause and it would be better for him to stay for one more season at Torino.

“I’ve read he’s happy here and I’ll need to talk to him. He can still improve, play one more season for us, play the world [next year] cup and then we’ll see.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments