Tottenham have ‘verbal agreement’ with Argentinian striker

Date published: Tuesday 24th May 2016 8:23

Jonathan Calleri: West Ham move reportedly imminent

Jonathan Calleri: West Ham move reportedly imminent

Tottenham are reportedly close to making their first signing of the summer in the form of Sao Paulo forward Jonathan Calleri.

The 22-year-old only joined the Brazilian club last season, and despite interest from Italy, his father and agent Guillermo Calleri claims there is a ‘verbal agreement’ between his son and Totthenham.

Brazilian journalist Felipe Mekhitarian leaked the news via Twitter, as it appears the North London club are set to add to their attacking firepower.

Inter Milan were said to be strongly interested in acquiring the former Boca Juniors man, though it was reported earlier in the month they had abandoned their search for the player due to ‘economic problems’.

Last November, Calleri admitted his intentions to play in Europe, having just become Argentinian League champion with Boca.

“At the moment I don’t know anything,” he told Directv Sports, “I read the newspapers and they have many rumours, but to me they didn’t say anything.

“My mind is set on playing a friendly match this Friday and then get on vacations with my family.

“Six months ago I wasn’t ready to move abroad. I believe that right now, after becoming champion, [having played] more matches and playing alongside Carlos [Tévez] I’m more prepared.”

Calleri dropped further hints that he sees himself playing in Europe a month after, when he was quoted in the Metro as being interested in three major European leagues.

“I’m very interested in the Premier League, Serie A and La Liga,” said Calleri.

“Of the latter, I see Real Madrid and Barcelona. In England, I follow Chelsea and Manchester City.

“And of course in Italy to watch football Inter, Juventus and Milan. I like to see a bit of everything, even if one of the things that most prefer is the Argentine football.”

Related Articles

Your Say

teamtalk323