Toure accepts driving ban despite ‘not intentionally drinking’

Date published: Tuesday 13th December 2016 10:14

Yaya Toure: Says judge accepted he had not drunk intentionally

Yaya Toure has accepted a driving ban and a fine after pleading guilty to a drink driving charge but the Man City midfielder says he “had not intentionally consumed alcohol”.

The Ivorian was pulled over in Dagenham on November 28 and charged the following day. He appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Monday when he chose not to contest the charge.

On Tuesday, Toure issued a statement to say that he had not consumed alcohol knowingly.

“Over the last two weeks there has been some confusion as to why I was charged with drink driving, as it is well known that I am a Muslim and do not drink.

“I have always refused alcohol. Anyone who knows me or follows football will have seen me refuse champagne for Man of the Match performances because of my commitment to my religion.

“The matter has now been resolved in court on Monday. As I was above the permitted limit when tested on the night, I decided not to challenge the charge. However, it was important to me that I told the court that I had not intentionally consumed alcohol. The judge in his sentencing remarks accepted that I had not been intentionally drinking.

“Drink driving is a serious crime and even though I was not intentionally consuming alcohol I accept the ban and fine and I would like to apologise for this situation. I would also like to thank my family, the management and staff at Manchester City, my legal team and the fans for the support they have given me during this difficult time.”

Toure was stopped in east London two days after featuring in City’s win at Burnley. The midfielder had been exiled from Pep Guardiola’s squad for the first three months of the season before being recalled for the victory at Crystal Palace on November 19 when he scored both goals in a 2-1 win.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments