Klopp’s video messages prompted Saints’ Van Dijk action – report

Date published: Saturday 10th June 2017 9:19

When Southampton discovered how Liverpool had reportedly sent detailed video clips to Virgil van Dijk on how he would fit into Jurgen Klopp’s side the south-coast side believed a line had been crossed.

Van Dijk, 25, had extensive talks with Klopp over a proposed £50million move to Anfield and agreed personal terms with the club, according to Yahoo Sport.

The report also claims the Dutch centre-back received video messages detailing how he would be used and he has now “kicked up a fuss” in a bid to be sold by Southampton.

The former Celtic man has five years left on his Saints deal and the club do not need to sell, although if they receive a huge offer they are likely to consider his sale.

Manchester City and Chelsea are also believed to have held talks with the player, but such was Liverpool’s contact that the club “had to take a stand”.

The report quotes a club source: “The club had to take a stand this week as we have been aware of what has been going on for months and it has gone too far,” the source told us.

“Southampton have told the player that we don’t want to sell him this summer, but he thought he could kick up a big enough fuss that he would be sold for £50m.

“That is never happening and by holding talks with the player, sending him video clips of how he will fit into their team and doing this all without the permission of Southampton, there is no way he will be sold to Liverpool at this stage.

“Of course, every player has a price and if £100m or something close is put on the table, then it will be considered, but Southampton do not need to sell van Dijk this summer.”

The agent at the centre of the deal is chasing a huge pay day and is still keen to a push the deal through, as is the player, but Liverpool backed off and apologised for their actions after Saints made a complaint to the Premier League.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments