Louis van Gaal says it is none of the media’s business whether or not he plans to quit as Manchester United manager in the summer, saying “not everything they write is true”.
A report in Friday’s Daily Mirror claimed all immediate transfer plans have been put on hold at Old Trafford amid uncertainty over the Manchester United manager’s future.
Van Gaal has 18 months to run on his contract and United have also flatly denied meeting Pep Guardiola to discuss the position.
And the Dutchman, whose relationship with the media became increasingly strained during an eight-match winless run late last year, was in no mood to discuss his plans as he attended his weekly press conference ahead of Saturday’s Premier League game at home to Southampton.
“I don’t think that the press have to help me with my decisions,” he said.
“First they have sacked me and now they are interfering with my future. I don’t think I have to answer this question.”
Asked whether speculation over his future might affect United’s squad, he said: “Until now, I haven’t seen that.
“I have a relationship with the players and that’s the most important thing. What is happening in the media is a different world. Not everything that the media is writing, I’m sorry to say, is true.”