Villa Chief Wyness unfazed over Financial Fair Play fears

Date published: Friday 19th May 2017 9:56

Aston Villa chief executive Keith Wyness has played down any financial fears with the Championship club ready for a clear-out in the summer transfer window.

The Sky Bet Championship club failed in their attempt to make an instant return to the Premier League this season.

Steve Bruce’s side finished 13th after relegation from the top flight last year, having spent around £55million last summer after owner Tony Xia bought the club.

Villa need to adhere to Financial Fair Play regulations, the spending guidelines which govern the Championship, but despite admitting they have cut it fine, Wyness remains unconcerned.

“It’s marginal for this year, very marginal,” he said.

“But will we need to address it. We’re not anywhere near sanctions at all.

“They ask you to put in your budget for the season and the budget we put in showed we would have breached it. That’s before any players transactions and commercial transactions.

“It’s just something we’re aware of. We are planning for it and we are aware of it. It’s not like ‘where did that come from?’ It can be handled.”

There are likely to be exits from Villa in the summer with Jordan Veretout, Aaron Tshibola, Carles Gil and Aly Cissokho – who have all been sent out on loan – likely to leave.

“A number of the loan players have interest from the clubs they’re on loan to already,” said Wyness.

“I know what Steve needs regarding the targets he wants. We’ll get those regardless and we’ll meet financial fair play.”

But Villa have discussed making a move for out-of-contract Chelsea captain John Terry, although Wyness admits it is a long shot.

He added: “You could put us on a list of clubs who would look at John. But I don’t think we would be the right solution for him personally. It’s something we’ve had a chat about but I don’t think it will come to anything to be honest.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments