Watford switch from Santon to Taider

Date published: Thursday 9th July 2015 12:14

The Premier League newcomers had opened talks with Inter last month in a bid to lure the former Newcastle player back to England, but the 24-year-old full-back has turned down a move to Vicarage Road.

“I can say that the deal is now off the table and negotiations will not continue,” Hornets owner Gino Pozzo told fcinternews.it. “I see no particular enthusiasm in the lad, despite all the time that we gave him to reflect and evaluate the deal.”

Santon, a youth product of Inter, returned to the Italian club in January on loan from Newcastle and made nine league appearances for the Nerazzurri.

Inter made Santon’s move a permanent one last month once the player’s contract with the Magpies had expired.

Santon is under contract with Inter until June 2018 and is eager to remain at the club next season.

“At this point it doesn’t seem logical to put pressure on the player,” Pozzo said. “It’s a pity because we had an agreement on everything but Santon doesn’t want to leave Inter.”

Watford, who gained promotion to the top flight after finishing second in The Championship last season, have now switched focus to Taider, 23,

The Algerian international, who spent last season on loan at Serie A side Sassuolo, has two years left on his contract.

“Right now we cannot talk about a proper negotiation,” Pozzo said. “For the time being it’s a possibility that we are all evaluating. We do like the player.”

Related Articles

Your Say


Leave a Reply