Georginio Wijnaldum’s contrasting form away from home will be under the microscope when Newcastle travel to face Watford at Vicarage Road for their Premier League clash on Saturday afternoon.
Forward Nordin Amrabat could make his debut for Watford in their Premier League clash against the Magpies.
Manager Quique Sanchez Flores confirmed Amrabat, who completed his £6million move from Malaga earlier this week, will be involved. Goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon, a new signing from Sunderland, is also likely to be included in the matchday squad.
Defenders Tommie Hoban (groin) and Joel Ekstrand (knee) remain unavailable.
Newcastle boss Steve McClaren is facing a defensive crisis ahead of the trip.
The Magpies head coach has lost left-backs Paul Dummett and Kevin Mbabu to hamstring injuries and Jack Colback, who filled in last weekend after Dummett’s premature departure against West Ham, is out with a similar problem, leaving Daryl Janmaat, Chancel Mbemba, Fabricio Coloccini and Jamaal Lascelles as the only match-fit senior defenders.
Mike Williamson (hamstring) and Massadio Haidara (knee) remain on the sidelines, and while Steven Taylor is back in the squad after five months out with a hamstring problem, Cheick Tiote is unavailable as he attempts to tie up a move to Shanghai Shenhua and fellow midfielder Siem de Jong (eye) is still out.
- Watford have already beaten Newcastle United twice this season – once in the Premier League at St James’ Park and once in the FA Cup at Vicarage Road earlier this month.
- If Watford have conceded in a competitive home match this season (five times), they have gone on to lose that game.
- The Magpies have scored just six goals in their last 16 Barclays Premier League away matches.
- Odion Ighalo has scored six goals in his last six Premier League appearances at Vicarage Road.
- Newcastle have conceded a league-high seven goals from outside the box in the Premier League this season.
- Watford have only ever won one of their 11 Premier League matches in the month of January (W1 D1 L9).
- The Hornets have not lost five successive Premier League games since October 1999.
- Georginio Wijnaldum has no goals and two assists in 10 Premier League away appearances this season, compared to nine goals and one assist in 12 PL apps at St James’ Park.
- Only Manchester United (7) have kept more clean sheets in the Premier League at home this season than Watford (6).
- After scoring in 11 successive Premier League games between October 24th 2015 and January 2nd 2016, Watford have now failed to score in their last two games in the competition.