West Brom have gone five successive Premier League games without a win for the first time under Tony Pulis as they gear up to face Newcastle.
Baggies boss Tony Pulis has promised to rotate over the festive period and Saido Berahino, who came on for the final half-hour of Saturday’s 1-0 Barclays Premier League defeat at Swansea, seems certain to enter the equation alongside Stephane Sessegnon and Callum McManaman as Albion seek to end a winless five-game run.
Suspended pair Salomon Rondon and James McClean remain out, the visit of fellow strugglers Newcastle being the second game of their three-match bans.
Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren will assess striker Aleksandar Mitrovic before naming his side for Monday’s Barclays Premier League trip to West Brom.
Mitrovic played the full 90 minutes in the 1-0 Boxing Day defeat by Everton despite being a doubt in the days leading up to it because of an ankle problem, with fellow frontman Papiss Cisse likely to be sidelined for several weeks by a groin problem.
Jamaal Lascelles is back in training after a hamstring injury and is soon to be joined by fellow central defender Steven Taylor (also hamstring), midfielder Rolando Aarons (foot) and striker Emmanuel Riviere (foot).
- WBA striker Victor Anichebe has scored five goals in the Premier League versus Newcastle; more than against any other opponent.
- Newcastle United have lost just one of their last seven Premier League meetings with WBA (W4 D2 L1).
- The Magpies have only failed to score in two of their last 28 league meetings with West Brom.
- West Bromwich Albion have not won their final Premier League game of the calendar year since they were re-promoted in 2010 (L3 D2).
- WBA have lost seven of their last 13 Premier League home games (W3 D3 L7).
- West Brom have scored 22 goals in 18 Premier League home matches under Tony Pulis (1.22 per game).
- Newcastle United have won two of their last three Premier League away games (W2 L1) – this after winning just one of their previous 18 on the road in the competition (W1 D3 L14).
- The Magpies have failed to score in nine of their last 14 Premier League away games.
- West Brom have attempted a league-low 155 shots (inc. blocked) in the Premier League in 2015-16.