Zielinski ‘snubs Napoli in hope of securing Liverpool transfer’

Date published: Sunday 12th June 2016 4:39

Piotr Zielinski: Transfer saga takes new twist

Piotr Zielinski: Transfer saga takes new twist

Piotr Zielinski has reportedly told Napoli he has no intention of signing for them, with the Udinese midfielder hoping to secure a move to fellow suitors Liverpool.

Both clubs submitted €12million bids for the Polish midfielder earlier this week – offers that have been reportedly rejected with the Serie A side holding out for nearer the €16million mark.

However, Sky Sports Italia’s Gianluca Di Marzio claims Zielinksi has instructed his agent to reject all overtures from Napoli, with the 22-year-old reported to have set his heart on a move to Liverpool.

Liverpool have been tracking the Polish midfielder’s services since January with the player revealing he had been in contact with Jurgen Klopp over a potential switch to the Premier League.

He told Sportowe Fakty in April: “There is a lot of truth in (talk of) the interest of (Liverpool boss) Jurgen Klopp in me.

“There was contact, I do not deny that.”

Zielinski has spent the last two seasons on loan at Empoli from Udinese, establishing himself as a key first-team member, making 35 appearances, scoring five goals. And he seems certain to move on this summer and follow in the footsteps of Alexis Sanchez, Samir Handanovic and Mehdi Benatia, who were all sold on by Udinese for large profits.

Zielinski is the third player to reject a move to Napoli this summer. Sime Vrsaljko recently agreed a move to Atletico Madrid, while another target, Davi Klaassen, had opted to stay at Ajax.

Related Articles

Your Say