9 games in…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  DH54WBA 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Swampy_WBA
    Participant
    • :

What do people think so far? After 9 games in, you’d think we’d be in a position to know our best team – but I don’t think we, or the coaching staff do either. I agree in some way with Pulis about the disruptive influence of the Transfer window and the international breaks. Yet another in 3 games. The Saido saga is now behind us thankfully. After the win vs Sunderland hoping we can kick on now, and get a result from Carrow Rd where we do not normally do too well…

Moving Lescott on for me was a good piece of business. Since January, I thought his legs had gone. He makes up for that in his natural ability and reading of the game, but against anyone quicker than my nan, he was struggling. Jonny Evans has genuinely surprised me. Cracking signing so far.

Credit to Peace for pulling the plug on any sale of the Club, early enough in the summer. It could have been much worse.

Talking of the summer, who of the summer signings have impressed or depressed? Im admittedly disappointed with Chester. Hull’s player of the year? I didnt notice him much for them last year. Maybe he, like most players, just needs a run of games. But i wasnt impressed with Pulis’s open criticism of him after his defensive efforts vs Everton.

It seems we cant play both Mclean n Mcmanaman in the same side. Mclean certainly does more leg work defensively which is why he’s getting more game time just lately under TP. Callum however is certainly exciting to watch going forward and someone defenders are genuinely wary of. Where is Gnabry going to feature?

Can we play Yacob and Fletcher together, or does it further hinder fans’ desire for more attacking intent?

Rondon is simply not getting enough chances. The guy needs a goal, but unless he gets a nick off a free kick or a corner, chances are not being provided anywhere near as often as they should be. Lambert hasn’t setthe world alight when he’s been given time either (albeit sparsely used).

Anyway, a bit of discussion for starters there…. and we havent even got on to TP’s tqactics yet 🙂

dukest2ja
    Participant
    • :

A fair assessment Swampy and I agree with you about Lescott and Evans. I would prefer to see more of McManaman than McClean, particularly when we are at home and I would also replace Fletcher/Yacob for Gnabry when at home. We have the players to be an attacking force with McM, McL, Gnabry, Rondon and Saido and I would love to see them all on the pitch. What is holding us back is Big T’s tactics which are rudimentary to say the least. I am a Baggies supporter since the early 70’s and the quality of football served up this season is some of the worst I have seen.

Northwich Baggie
    Participant
    • :

I have to agree with both posts. Evans is beginning to look a bargain if he stays injury free. Gnabry is starting to play well for the u21s (us and Germany). If Mozza isn’t fit having him in his place would give us some pace. For away matches I’d prefer Saido up front in a 451 with Rondon coming on later. At home except against the ‘big five’ I’d go for 442 but with either Fletcher or Yacob replaced by an attacking midfielder. I’ve been watching Albion since 1954 and it’s the worst I’ve seen in the top flight although there was some pretty awful stuff in the lower divisions!

geirwba
    Participant
    • :

I agree with the posts here about ALBION style of football at the moment.Imo its pretty awfull,but that is TPs style of football effective but not good to look at.IMO i want to see more of McManaman think he is our best winger.I have sad it before that Rondon is not a goal scorer,but i hope he can score some goals soon.IMO Lambert has been very dissepointing,he should be a good signing for us,but so far he has not.PS by the way Ideye and Rosenberg both scored the winner for their teams in Champions League yesterday…..Well i want to see us beat Norwich saturday.COYB Norway baggie

DH54WBA
    Participant
    • :

I’m with Northwich. When the late, great Frankie Griffin popped in a late, late winner in the first Cup Final I had ever seen (on a 9″ black and white TV I might add) this 10 year old kid in the wilds of Hampshire at the time developed a passion that has not eased in all of the 61 years since. It took me a couple of years to realise that the stripes were not actually black! All this devotion has been rewarded by what exactly? Six promotions matched by six relegations, one realistic chance of a League title, one FA Cup win, six semi finals, two losing League Cup finals and two play off finals. Better than Aldershot but not exactly Man U either. Against this plenty of dire times but I cannot in all honesty remember being quite as depressed as our present style of football has made me. We have a manager determined to suck the life out of every game and a whole bunch of talented players left to waste on the bench or nowhere. Have we ever played with such negativity? Please discuss!!

Northwich Baggie
    Participant
    • :

DH54, like you I watched the 54 final on a similar TV. I was nine at the time and all my family and friends were Wolves supporters. Not only that Wolves players used to bring their Xmas turkeys for roasting in our bakery ovens. Two weeks prior to the match I was delivering bread with my Dad and was told that the person I was delivering to was Len Millard the captain of WBA! I remember him giving us coffee but that’s all. I watched the match and was hooked. It’s been a roller coaster ride but most of the football has been good to watch except for a time in the lower divisions but todays stuff is awful to watch. Oh for the days of Ronnie Allen or The King and Bomber or the Three Degrees. That was worth paying to watch.

DH54WBA
    Participant
    • :

It’s an age thing Northwich! Nobody who has lived through the great teams of the late fifties, late sixties and the best of all in the late seventies can stomach the stuff we currently dish up but for many its enough that we get a point or two and I understand that. My problem is that we have the talent to play more attractively but never use it and I don’t think we ever will with Mr ‘clean sheet’ at the helm? That said I do enjoy the club being where it is in the Prem and maybe this is what it takes nowadays?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply this topic.