Mikel Arteta may have to accept defeat in his ambitious pursuit of a Real Madrid ace after one of Europe’s richest clubs entered negotiations to sign him, according to reports.
Arteta will prioritise the signings of two central midfielders during the summer transfer window. His options in the position are already strong, as he is able to select the likes of Martin Odegaard, Thomas Partey, Granit Xhaka and Jorginho. However, the coach clearly feels a bit of extra quality is needed if Arsenal are to win the Premier League title next season and also go far in the Champions League.
Plus, three of those midfielders – Partey, Xhaka and Jorginho – are around the 30 years of age mark, which means some new energy needs to be added to the position by some younger stars.
Arsenal are at the front of the queue to replace Partey with the capture of West Ham skipper Declan Rice. Although, they will face competition from Manchester City.
The Gunners hope to land Moises Caicedo from Brighton, too. But his top performances in the Prem have resulted in him appearing on Chelsea and Liverpool’s wish lists as well.
Another area Arteta wants to improve ahead of next season is left-back. Kieran Tierney is poised to leave the Emirates, which would leave space in the squad for a top-class left-back to arrive and compete with Oleksandr Zinchenko for his starting spot.
On April 2, it emerged Arsenal, City and Newcastle were all eyeing up Ferland Mendy of Real Madrid. Those three potential suitors were told Real would sell if a bid worth €60million (£52m) arrived.
Goal’s live transfer blog (12/05, at 15:31), which cites reports coming out of Spain, has revealed the latest on Mendy. It is claimed the full-back is facing an uncertain future at Real due to Eduardo Camavinga impressing in his absence.
Arsenal want player who has lost his Real Madrid spot
Central midfielder Camavinga has been selected at left-back in recent months due to Mendy being out injured. But Camavinga has done so well that Carlo Ancelotti is expected to stick with him, leaving Mendy on the bench.
Mendy is now one of the ‘firmest candidates’ to leave the Bernabeu this summer. But rather than heading to Arsenal, where he would be a dream left-back solution for Arteta, the Frenchman is instead being hunted by Paris Saint-Germain.
The Ligue 1 giants have entered into transfer discussions with Real and have begun the bidding at a lowly €30m (£26m). Real have rejected the proposal and have told PSG they will have to pay €45m (£39m) for the star.
That sum is easy for PSG to match thanks to their hugely wealthy owners, which makes a transfer to the Parc des Princes likely.
It is interesting that Real have dropped their asking price from the £52m sum that was previously mentioned. Perhaps they know Mendy will struggle to play under Ancelotti once he returns from injury and simply want to get rid so they can bring a new left-back in.
Mendy would have been a brilliant signing for Arsenal. Prior to his injury, he was pretty much nailed on as Real’s first-choice left-back. He would have helped to bring a winning attitude to Arteta’s squad, as he has lifted major trophies such as the Champions League, La Liga and Copa del Rey while on Real’s books.
However, Arsenal may now have to watch Mendy join PSG instead. A return to France would probably appeal to the former Le Havre and Lyon star.