Leandro Trossard agent accuses Roberto De Zerbi of humiliating Tottenham target as Brighton urged to accept transfer
The agent of Brighton attacker Leandro Trossard has issued a statement urging the club to allow him to leave after Roberto De Zerbi “humiliated” him.
Trossard has been linked with a departure from Brighton this month. Tottenham are reportedly keen on taking the Belgium international to north London. It would come a few months after they also raided Brighton for Yves Bissouma.
Since joining Brighton in 2019, Trossard has contributed 25 goals and 14 assists from 121 appearances. This season, he has scored seven times and assisted three more goals from 17 games.
But he will not be getting the chance to add to those tallies this weekend. Indeed, he has been left out of Brighton’s squad for their home match against Liverpool on Saturday.
Head coach De Zerbi has concerns about Trossard’s attitude, which he confirmed at his press conference in view of the game.
De Zerbi said: “He left [a training] session without saying anything to me. And it’s not good. I spoke with him and I explained this attitude, this behaviour, I don’t like.
“I am open with him to take a step back and listen to him. But he has to understand with me. I want only players who work hard and play for the team 100 per cent.”
The Italian added: “I don’t know about the transfer market, if he wants to change teams or not.”
De Zerbi’s decision to omit Trossard – who has reportedly taken a train back to Belgium – has now prompted a response from the 28-year-old’s agent.
The representative, Josy Comhair, has claimed that De Zerbi has “humiliated” his client. Furthermore, there is a belief that he should also share some of the blame for their breakdown in communication.
In turn, Comhair has insisted the most sensible solution is now for Brighton to sell Trossard, whose contract expires in 2024.
Leandro Trossard transfer conclusion comes from agent statement
Comhair’s statement reads: “Before Leandro left for Qatar, Brighton’s intention was to have Leandro sign on. This did not happen, as the parties did not come to an agreement. Leandro has also indicated that he is ready for his next step.
“After the World Cup, there was an altercation between Leandro and a player in training over a trivial matter. Since then, the manager no longer speaks to Leandro, which is obviously not conducive to the atmosphere, nor is it performance-oriented.
“Leandro still had a starting place against Southampton and Arsenal, but against Everton he was on the bench. He was also not included in the five substitutions that took place at the time, and this without any explanation.
“In the run-up to the game against Middlesbrough for the FA Cup, Leandro had already indicated twice that he had problems with his calf. This was the reason why he stopped training. This was, incidentally, in consultation with the medical staff.
“The manager told Leandro that he had to train separately. Last Monday, the manager humiliated Leandro in group and indicated that he no longer wanted to see him. A manager who has not communicated directly with his player for four weeks is really incomprehensible. Incidentally, it is also the manager who has indicated several times that a transfer is the most convenient solution.
“It is therefore important that Brighton cooperates with a potential transfer during this transfer period and shows a benevolent attitude, which is beneficial to both parties.”
Trossard has scored five goals from his 11 appearances under De Zerbi since the former Shakhtar Donetsk boss replaced Graham Potter.
It seems they are no longer working from the same page, though. Suitors like Tottenham will be watching on with intent.
READ MORE: Liverpool warned against signing of top Brighton star as two world-class alternatives suggested