Ally McCoist has told Chelsea midfielder Conor Gallagher to leave Stamford Bridge if he wants to feature at the World Cup, amid a significant bid for his services.
Gallagher spent last season on loan at Crystal Palace. He made 34 Premier League appearances for the Eagles, registering eight goals and three assists. This helped Palace finish 12th in the table.
Gallagher’s impressive form at Selhurst Park saw him become a member of Gareth Southgate’s England squad. He has won four caps for the Three Lions so far and will surely add to this tally if his impressive development continues.
The 22-year-old is now back at Chelsea and has featured in all four of their league games so far, prior to the clash against Southampton.
However, he could lose his spot in the team now Mateo Kovacic is back in action. Plus, Thomas Tuchel will benefit from N’Golo Kante returning to full fitness in around a month’s time.
Clubs are keeping tabs on Gallagher’s situation, just in case he will be allowed to leave Chelsea in the final few days of the transfer window.
And Palace have acted on their interest in him, according to The Times. They claim Patrick Vieira’s side have made a £27million bid for Gallagher.
This is not a record fee for Palace, though it is not far off it. Their biggest signing to date is the £28m they spent on Christian Benteke in August 2016.
Palace sent the offer to Chelsea on Monday and are now waiting to see if it will be enough to complete a deal for Gallagher.
Ally McCoist has Conor Gallagher concern
Amid the speculation, McCoist is worried about the midfielder’s game time, should he remain in west London. Rather than stay, Gallagher should consider leaving for Palace to ensure he makes Southgate’s World Cup squad.
“He’s got to think about himself, his future,” McCoist said on talkSPORT (via the Daily Mail).
“He had a brilliant period at Palace, he had a top class time there. Clearly Patrick Vieira would take him back in two minutes.
“Will he play consistently in that Chelsea team? Will he play consistently enough to get in the squad for Qatar? I’m not too sure to be honest with you.
“I think he’s probably got a better chance of going to Qatar if he plays with Palace. I can see him being a mainstay in that side, whereas I’m not sure he will be at Chelsea.
“So it’s a big decision he’s got to make. From where he was three or four years ago, it’s a brilliant decision for him to make because he’s just done ever so well with his career in the last couple of seasons.
“I think he’s only going to continue to improve because I think he’s an excellent player. Going forward, he’s brave, gets himself into scoring positions.”
While it would probably be advisable for Conor Gallagher to join Palace, there is one key reason why he is unlikely to do so.
This is because the star, along with several family members, is a Chelsea supporter. This means his ultimate aim is to become a regular in the Chelsea team, rather than at Palace or anywhere else.
Of course, staying at Chelsea could jeopardise Gallagher’s World Cup chances. But he will have full confidence in his ability to impress Tuchel and subsequently get on the plane to Qatar.
Meanwhile, a Chelsea defender has been promised he can leave the club this week, according to reports.