English starlet explains Chelsea, Man Utd snub amid £40m move rumours

Date published: Wednesday 27th October 2021 2:28 - James Holland

Noni Madueke PSV

PSV winger Noni Madueke has explained his decision to reject Chelsea and Man Utd, as rumours continue to swirl over his future.

The England U21 ace spent four years in Tottenham’s academy before leaving for PSV in July 2018. He continued his development in their youth setup and gained promotion to the senior squad in March last year.

Madueke is now an important member of the first team. He has bagged six goals in 16 appearances so far this campaign. The attacker’s form will be vital if PSV are to challenge Ajax for the Eredivisie title and go far in the Europa League.

During a recent interview with BBC Sport, Madueke opened up on his Tottenham exit. He also revealed that Premier League rivals Chelsea and Man Utd were interested in his services.

“Chelsea, Manchester United, a lot of European clubs [made offers],” he said. “I came here one time and as soon as I came I wanted to sign straight away.

“I knew going from Tottenham to United is pretty much the same thing. The reason I wanted to go was to progress quicker into the first team. PSV is a top European club. It made so much sense at the time and it makes sense now.”

The 19-year-old, who mainly operates at right wing, also revealed the impact of United legend Ruud van Nistelrooy on his development. The Dutchman is in charge of PSV’s under 19s.

“Ruud helped me a lot. I was with him almost two years, from when I came until I went to the first team. I sponged off him and I learned a lot of things.”

The player’s comments come amid uncertainty over his future. Brendan Rodgers’ Leicester have been linked over the past few months.

Tottenham were also plotting a bid in the summer but ran out of time before the deadline. They did enquire over Madueke’s availability and were told £40m would be enough to land him.


Is Antonio Conte the right potential Ole Gunnar Solskjaer successor for Man Utd?


Brazilian club make approach for Chelsea man

Italian outlet TuttoMercatoWeb claim that Chelsea defender Thiago Silva has received an approach from a Brazilian side.

The centre-back is out of contract in June and is unlikely to pen an extension. Fluminense are aware of the situation and have contacted him over a return to his homeland.

Their chances of completing a deal are boosted by Silva’s love for the club. He made his name there before being snapped up by AC Milan in 2009.

Silva originally joined Chelsea on a free transfer in August last year. He has since helped Thomas Tuchel’s side to win the Champions League and UEFA Super cup.

READ MORE: Chelsea mulling January transfer for PSG forward with unsolvable problem

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM