Chelsea spending far from finished with Boehly ready to sign off deal that threatens Enzo Fernandez status
Chelsea’s almost unprecedented quest to spend money like it is going out of fashion shows no signs of easing – with TEAMtalk able to reveal that Enzo Fernandez’s status as the British record signing is unlikely to last for long.
The Blues have spent an sanctioned an incredible £500m transfer outlay since Boehly succeeded Roman Abramovich last summer. Indeed, 17 new players have come through the entrance doors at Stamford Bridge to swell Graham Potter’s squad.
However, after Friday night’s 0-0 draw with Fulham, Jamie Carragher spoke of how the quantity of those new arrivals will only heap the pressure on Potter. Furthermore, he also suggests there is still one glaring omission in their squad.
And with the Blues currently sat in mid-table, the emphasis will be on Potter to oversee a significant improvement over the second half.
Regardless of where they finish, plans are already afoot on more new arrivals at Stamford Bridge this summer.
Christopher Nkunku’s capture from RB Leipzig in a big-money deal have already been confirmed. And it seems they will not stop there either with Chelsea potentially looking to sign a new frontline striker.
Of course, departures will be made too, with the Blues’ squad currently top heavy. To that end, Hakim Ziyech will likely move on, while speculation this week also claims a big-name star will be offloaded for a cut-price £53m.
Assessing the work done so far, our transfer insider Graeme Bailey has hailed the work done by Boehly and his business partner Behdad Eghbali.
And while he admits the way they have gone about their business isn’t to everyone’s taste, he can only praise them for landing their targets and then bringing them in.
Chelsea transfer business is not finished yet
“Chelsea are doing business their way and that is not about to change anytime soon,” Bailey told TEAMtalk.
“Whilst some in football do not agree with how Chelsea have gone about their business, you can’t argue with the results of Todd Boehly and Behdad Eghbali.
“Boehly has occupied many headlines in the last few months, but the work of co-owner Eghbali has been key in their two highest profile deals – Mykhaylo Mudryk and Enzo Fernandez.
“Eghbali led the main talks on both deals and, along with their new transfer committee, managed to get the deals over the line.
“His manoeuvring to get the Fernandez deal finalise was impressive – and dealing with an experienced counterpart like Benfica president Rui Costa, is something that he will no doubt use going forward.
“I understand that whilst many in football are far from enamoured with Chelsea splashing the cash, coupled with their huge player contracts they have been handing out, there is also a level of respect that has been earned in almost equal measure.”
Bailey claims the Blues could look to embark on more significant signings this summer. And while Fernandez is currently the club’s record signing at £106.8m, that may soon be smashed again come the summer.
“Having spent more than half a billion pounds since arriving, all eyes are now on Chelsea for the summer,” he added. “And, I have to be honest, I can’t wait to see what Todd and Behdad come up with next.
“The British and Chelsea club records were broken with the Fernandez deal, but the belief is that won’t last beyond this summer.”
READ MORE: Chelsea ridiculed over serious transfer mistake as Boehly is told why Fernandez is inferior to Man Utd star