Chelsea enter preliminary contract talks with influential star to prevent Christensen repeat
Chelsea have reportedly entered ‘early contract talks’ with a big name to prevent Andreas Christensen’s impending exit from being repeated.
According to transfer guru Fabrizio Romano, Denmark international Christensen ‘will play for Barcelona’ next season. Romano claims ‘there is no doubt’ over the situation, as Christensen wants to join the Spanish giants.
Chelsea will lose out on some serious money as the centre-back can leave for free once his contract expires on June 30.
Blues manager Thomas Tuchel responded to the transfer links earlier on Wednesday. The German said: “We hear the rumours – it’s clear and we are not happy about it. We have to consider the possibility he leaves us. Will we like it? No…”
Christensen has been an integral player at Stamford Bridge over the past few seasons. He has formed a solid defensive partnership with Antonio Rudiger and Thiago Silva.
Clearly, Chelsea will be wary of such a debacle from happening again and are apparently getting to work. According to Sport Witness, who cite reports in Italy, the Blues are engaging in ‘early talks’ with midfielder N’Golo Kante.
The 30-year-old has a contract which runs until 2023, creating slight uncertainty over his future. But Chelsea want to prevent any exit by tying him down to a long-term deal.
Chelsea plan renewal lasting to 2025
They want Kante to agree fresh terms ‘as soon as possible’, although it will take several weeks at the very least.
The report claims a renewal would last until 2025 – which would potentially keep Kante in west London until he retires.
Chelsea join the race for Christopher Nkunku this summer
Christopher Nkunku a Chelsea target join Manchester United in the race for the RB Leipzig midfielder
Like Christensen, Kante has been hugely influential to Chelsea’s success under Tuchel. He made 48 appearances in all competitions last term, helping them to win the Champions League.
The Frenchman is likely to start when the Blues come up against Norwich in the Premier League on Thursday evening.
Tuchel praises Blues man for ‘stepping up’
Ahead of the clash at Carrow Road, Tuchel was asked about German forward Kai Havertz, who has been in impressive form of late.
He said at a press conference: “I don’t take pride. It’s on him. He stepped up.
“The players take care of themselves and if they are on the pitch, it’s on them to stay on the pitch.
“He was a little down, had struggles to fight for it and how to fight for it. But it is more or less a daily thing and he changed his attitude, used his physique and changed his body and he is in good shape for a long time.”
Havertz’s success has come at the expense of fellow attacker Romelu Lukaku. But there is still hope for the £97.5m signing.
“There is always a chance [for Lukaku] because Kai can play more positions than just a nine and we have played with two strikers in the past,” Tuchel added.
READ MORE: Tottenham battling Arsenal for Barcelona transfer made possible by Chelsea deal