Lukaku outlines ‘commitment’ plan to Chelsea fans following Tuchel chat

Date published: Tuesday 4th January 2022 8:29 - Dan Burnham

Romelu Lukaku has issued an apology video to Chelsea fans in which he outlines his plan to recover from his bombshell interview.

The Belgian striker had already apologised to his boss Thomas Tuchel but has now addressed the Blues fanbase in an interview on the club’s website.

In a Twitter clip titled ‘A message from Romelu’, Lukaku said: “To the fans, I’m sorry for the upset that I caused.

“You guys know the connection that I have with this club since my teenage years. So I totally understand you guys being upset.

“Obviously it’s up to me now to restore your trust and I’ll do my best to show commitment every day on the training ground, and in the games, trying to make sure we win games.

“Also to the manager I apologise and also to my teammates. And the board because I think it was not the right moment also.

“And I want to move on forward from this and make sure that we start winning football games and I perform for the team in the best manner.”


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Despite declaring he was “not happy” at Stamford Bridge, the 28-year-old looks set to stay exactly there.

His desire to re-join Inter Milan will therefore have to be put on hold. A transfer in either of the next two transfer windows has been ruled out.

Tuchel earlier said: “He apologised and is back in the squad for [Tuesday’s] training. For me the most important thing was to understand and clearly understand and believe that it was not intentional.

“He did not do this intentionally to create noise in front of such a big game. And it’s the very first time even he has behaved like this.

“But he’s still our player and we have good, good reasons and a lot of reasons to make him play for us, and to convince him and to fight hard that he’s our player. We’re happy he’s our player, we will protect him.”

Chelsea battle on for defender

Merih Demiral Juventus

Meanwhile, Merih Demiral has reportedly emerged onto the radar of Chelsea and other European heavyweights. It comes just months after sealing his most recent transfer.

The Blues are in the process of reshaping their defence due to fears about losing some of their current options.

The likes of Jules Kounde and Matthijs De Ligt have been mentioned frequently. But another – and perhaps cheaper – option could be Demiral. According to Turkish source Fanatik, Chelsea are among a group of clubs looking at the Atalanta centre-back.

Demiral only joined La Dea in the summer, on loan with an option to buy from Juventus. After finding game time hard to come by in Turin, the 23-year-old is using the spell to get back on track.

So far, he has started 13 games in Serie A this season and five in the Champions League. He also made one substitute appearance in the European competition.

READ MORENewcastle transfer bad news for Tuchel, with Chelsea favourite next to move

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM