Todd Boehly told to ruthlessly axe two Chelsea favourites in order to fund permanent Joao Felix transfer
Chelsea legend Frank Leboeuf has urged the club’s owner Todd Boehly to sell two stars in order to fund a permanent deal for Joao Felix this summer.
The Blues signed the Portugal international on loan in the January transfer window but the move did not include an option to buy, with Atletico confirming before the forward moved to Stamford Bridge that he had penned a one-year contract extension in Madrid.
And even though Felix was red-carded on his Chelsea debut, he has since impressed in west London. Indeed, Leboeuf believes the 23-year-old is currently Graham Potter’s ‘most dangerous player’.
The player himself has actually admitted that he could extend his stay with the Blues. However, Atletico are almost certain to demand up to £100million for his signature.
Leboeuf, though, thinks that Felix’s potential price tag is the ‘only worry’ for Boehly and that the Chelsea chief should cash in on Mason Mount and Christian Pulisic to fund the transfer.
Talks over a new contract for England star Mount have so far stalled, with both Liverpool and Manchester United monitoring his situation.
USA attacker Pulisic, meanwhile, has been repeatedly linked with a move away from the club due to lack of playing time under Potter. Indeed, Pulisic has only started seven Premier League games this season.
And, when asked if his old club should sign Felix permanently, Leboeuf told ESPN: “Joao Felix is a great player. I think he’s the most dangerous player, the most entertaining player, the most artistic player at Chelsea right now. He’s been pretty consistent too, almost every game he creates something.
“Hopefully Chelsea will be able to sell a few players – maybe Pulisic and Mount – and can then get Felix on a permanent.
“It would be a lot of money, that’s the only worry for the owners. But in terms of a football player, I would sign him.”
Fernandez praying Chelsea fix it for Felix to stay
Leboeuf is not the only Chelsea fan hoping Felix stays put, with his club teammate Enzo Fernandez also keeping his fingers crossed.
The club’s record signing said last month: “When you get on with someone off the field it helps on the field to have that special connection.
“He’s a great player, isn’t he? A fantastic player. He’s got lots of ability and loads of qualities.
“He’s a key player for us, an important player and he’s on loan. Let’s hope that Chelsea can do all they can to keep hold of him come June, that would be great.”
Not everyone thinks Chelsea should keep Felix though, with former Liverpool defender Steve Nicol of a completely different opinion.
He added: “Let’s be honest, they signed him in the hope he would bring end product because they didn’t have it. He’s going to cost a lot of money – it could be about £100m.
“So no, I wouldn’t sign him. They’ve got enough players that are doing and can do what Joao Felix has been doing. So to spend that much on another one doesn’t make sense.”
Chelsea are back in action on Saturday April 1 when they host Aston Villa in the Premier League.
READ MORE: Chelsea, Tottenham on ‘high alert’ as costly De Zerbi decision sets wheels in motion for £30m Brighton exit