Chelsea are looking to leapfrog London rivals Tottenham in the race to sign a top Inter Milan centre-back, while Friday’s Transfer Gossip claims a new suitor has emerged to sign Manchester United Cristiano Ronaldo forward in January.
POTTER TARGETS TOP INTER DEFENDER
Chelsea are reportedly ‘carefully monitoring’ the situation surrounding Inter Milan defender Alessandro Bastoni, who remains a top target for Tottenham boss Antonio Conte.
The 23-year-old has been a revelation at the San Siro after signing from Atalanta in 2017 when he was just a teenager.
He became a mainstay in Inter’s defence under Conte and now has 128 first-team appearances under his belt.
The left-footed centre-back is known for his quality on the ball. To that end, he is wanted to fill the role on the left side of Conte’s back three – especially given that Clement Lenglet is only on loan from Barcelona.
Journalist Dean Jones reports that Bastoni is Conte’s ‘dream signing’. However, Potter seemingly wants to scupper that dream and bring the player to west London instead.
Italian outlet CMW claims that the Blues are keeping tabs on the player’s situation, given that he will be out of contract at the end of next season.
Potter looking to reshape Chelsea
Potter is keen on Bastoni, despite Chelsea bringing in Kalidou Koulibaly and Wesley Fofana over the summer.
Thiago Silva is in the latter stages of a stellar career. The Blues also lost Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen to LaLiga.
If Chelsea do jump in ahead of Conte and Spurs and snatch Bastoni, it would be a hammer blow to the north London club.
Bastoni, who was recently linked with Manchester United and Manchester City, was valued at £53m last summer.
However, that price is likely to drop next summer, given he will only have a year left on his contract.
RONALDO WANTED IN TURKEY
Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly been told he can leave Manchester United in January after the disappointment of failing to leave over the summer.
The Sun recently revealed his team-mates believe he will push for a move once again in January, six months before his contract expires.
And according to Fotomac, Turkish giants Galatasaray are set to go “all out” with an ambitious bid for the Portuguese legend in the January window.
Club chief Erden Timur refused to talk about attempting to sign the £360,000-a-week forward. However, he is said to be in constant communication with Ronaldo‘s representatives.
Okan Burak’s side currently sit fourth in the Super Lig after finishing 13th-place last term.
That result ensured they cannot offer Ronaldo any European football until the 2023-24 campaign at the earliest.
That could end up swaying his decision. Indeed, the report is unclear on whether Ronaldo would actually be interested in heading to Turkey.
RODGERS REVEALS TWO JOB SNUBS
Brendan Rodgers has revealed he twice rejected the chance to leave Leicester as he tries to turn around their season.
The Foxes claimed their first win of the campaign against Nottingham Forest to move off the bottom of the table. That, in turn, took some pressure off the Foxes boss.
With chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha in the directors’ box, a defeat would have placed Rodgers under huge scrutiny.
However, the former Liverpool chief has revealed he could have quit his post twice for other jobs.
The Daily Mail reports that Arsenal and Newcastle are two clubs Rodgers turned down.
The Leicester boss penned a new deal in December 2019, amid strong interest from the Gunners. While, Newcastle were keen on brigning Rodgers in ahead of Eddie Howe following their Saudi-led takeover last year.
Rodgers said: “The owners know my loyalty because I stayed when maybe I could have left. But that doesn’t mean they owe me anything. I want to do it for the club and the supporters and they trust me to do that.”