Adrian is reportedly considering his future with Liverpool after “going through a period of ostracism”.
The Reds keeper has yet to make an appearance this season after the emergence of Caoimhin Kelleher.
Kelleher, 22, stepped in for Alisson in the 5-0 win at Watford at the weekend. With Alisson unavailable due to being late back from international duty, Adrian was in the running to make his season’s bow.
However, Jurgen Klopp opted for the inexperienced Kelleher, who also played in the EFL Cup win at Norwich last month.
It left Adrian on the bench – only the second time this season he has made Klopp’s Premier League squad.
And Klopp’s pecking order already looks well established, leaving Adrian with some thinking to do.
The former West Ham stopper almost left in the summer before signing a new one-year deal.
He claimed to be “delighted” when the Spanish stopper, who joined the Reds on a free transfer in August 2019, put pen to paper. But fast forward fourth months and AS claim Adrian is pondering his future.
The Spanish outlet say Adrian is “going through a period of ostracism” and is in a “critical moment”.
However, the 34-year-old will approach the situation with “the utmost elegance” and there is no suggestion that he has gone banging on the door of Klopp. However, his “difficult situation” at Anfield is becoming more evident.
Of course he has been regularly linked with a return to Spain and Real Betis.
Speaking to ABC Sevilla, former Betis star Adrian said last week: “It is not that you want it or not, it is that the circumstances are right.
“Last time, Betis were looking for a goalkeeper and I was free. I got the chance of Liverpool and look, I signed and have already been here for three seasons.
“I will continue fighting there, the competition is getting tougher.
“But I like challenges and I’m still hard at work. What comes in the future we will see.”
Diego Simeone’s vow
Meanwhile, Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has insisted that he will find a way to “hurt” Liverpool as they return to the Wanda Metropolitano.
The Reds face off against the La Liga side in the Spanish capital on Tuesday in the Champions League. While Liverpool have good memories of Atletico’s stadium, not all trips there have proved fruitful.
Following the Champions League final win at the ground in 2019, Liverpool lost 1-0 at the Wanda Metropolitano in the last 16 of the 2019/20 campaign.
Now, they play there again looking to take control of this term’s Group B.
Liverpool sit top, two points ahead of Atletico, who have not played in 17 days. Indeed, they had last weekend’s La Liga clash against Athletic Bilbao postponed following quarantine issues associated with the international break.
Liverpool had no such luck, but Simeone responded by throwing the gauntlet down over their last trip to his side’s stadium.
“You to have remember in the next 17 days, we have to play six games. It’s not bad that we’ve had a bit of a rest,” the manager said (via the Liverpool Echo).
“We’ll see how [Jose] Gimenez, [Marcos] Llorente and [Matheus] Cuhna evolve tomorrow.
“We hope that everyone is in contention and ready for a fantastic game that will be full of red and white shirts in the stadium.
“Let’s not forget, the last time we played Liverpool in the Champions League, we were already winning that game before it even kicked off, I would like the fans to remember that tomorrow.
“It is a pleasure to see how they play. They have quick players on the break. With Van Dijk back, they have improved their defensive stability.
“We will try and find a way to hurt them.”