Jurgen Klopp has told senior Liverpool officials to pursue Rennes attacker Kamaldeen Sulemana, who has been affectionately labelled the ‘new Sadio Mane’ by a report.
Liverpool were forced to let Mane leave in the summer as he joined Bayern Munich in a £35million deal. Klopp was hoping to keep him at Anfield but was rendered powerless by the fact the star’s contract was running down there.
Liverpool have struggled at times without Mane as the focal point in their attack. Darwin Nunez is gradually improving, although he is still most definitely a work in progress.
Roberto Firmino is beginning to shine again and he is likely to start when Liverpool come up against Manchester City this Sunday.
Of course, Mane’s usual position under Klopp at Liverpool was left wing. He played there following Mo Salah’s arrival and before Luis Diaz joined from Porto.
Diaz has been one of Liverpool’s better players during a tough start to the new campaign. And the Colombian looks like he will be a great long-term replacement for Mane.
However, Goal, who cite reports coming out of Spain, claim Liverpool need another forward to improve their threat. And Klopp is aware of this, so he has told Liverpool chiefs to sort the issue out.
Klopp apparently wants Rennes ace Sulemana to arrive at Anfield. The original report calls him the ‘new Mane’, which is huge praise for the 20-year-old.
Kamaldeen Sulemana wanted by Reds
Sulemana has only been in one of Europe’s top five leagues for a year. He spent time playing in his native Ghana and then Denmark before joining Rennes for €17.5m last summer.
Admittedly, Sulemana has had a slow start to life in France. Just six goals have come his way in 39 appearances so far.
However, the left winger has huge potential and it seems Klopp wants Liverpool to be the place where he realises it.
The report claims Liverpool will make a move for the star as early as January, at the ‘express request’ of their first-team manager.
The main reason for this is so Liverpool can beat several other Champions League teams to his signature. Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona are supposedly keeping tabs on Sulemana’s development as well.
Despite Liverpool mainly struggling in midfield and defence this term, the report takes a different approach. It suggests the main area in need of improvement is attack, hence the potential move for Sulemana.
Liverpool are supposedly planning to bid €35m for the 11-time Ghana international. This works out at £30.4m currently.
A move for this price would see Rennes double their money on Sulemana, something they are more than happy to do.
The youngster is clearly an attacker with bags of talent. However, there are a couple of reasons why this report is being ambitious with its link.
First of all, Diaz is Klopp and Liverpool’s main choice when it comes to replacing Mane. He might not have the goalscoring threat of his predecessor. But he definitely has a way of playing that improves those around him, while he is also great for Liverpool fans to watch.
Another factor to consider is Sulemana’s lack of experience. He is yet to really establish himself at Rennes and make a big impact for them.
Once he does this for a season or two, then Liverpool will be sure to make a move for him.