Klopp hints at imminent Liverpool exit with star’s future hinging on one thing; fires warning despite confirmed deal lifting the gloom
Jurgen Klopp appeared to confirm Liverpool are open to cashing in on a squad player whose future is hanging in the balance, and stressed he’ll be “careful” despite a a deal for a hugely promising talent crossing the line.
The Reds’ season has lurched from one disappointment to another, though there remains plenty of time for Klopp and co. to right the ship.
The Community Shield has already been banked and Liverpool remain in both the FA Cup and Champions League.
They’ll square off against Brighton at the AMEX in the fourth round of the FA Cup on Sunday. Hopes of gaining revenge will be high after being thumped 3-0 in the league meeting just two weeks ago.
A rare bright spark amid the doom and gloom this campaign has been Spanish midfielder, Stefan Bajcetic.
The 18-year-old has displayed maturity well beyond his years each and every time he’s taken to the field this season.
Those instances have been increasingly frequent of late, with Klopp showing greater and greater faith in the classy operator.
Klopp urges caution following Confirmed Liverpool deal
Bajcetic committed his long-term future to the club on Thursday upon signing a deal that’ll run until the summer of 2027.
The teenager reserved special praise for two Liverpool veterans when detailing who’s helped him develop the most.
But despite big things awaiting in Bajcetic’s future, Jurgen Klopp has urged caution for those expecting too much too soon from Liverpool’s newest star.
Speaking in a press conference on Friday (via the Liverpool Echo), the German said: “We will be careful with him because of his age, but he showed that he is ready.
“It’s very helpful for us in the situation. He’s a good footballer. He deserves it and I think he’s really happy about it.”
Late window fireworks at Anfield?
Elsewhere, the final days of the January window at Anfield may be busier than many Reds fans might’ve expected.
The Daily Mail claimed Liverpool are exploring a late loan swoop to bolster their midfield ranks. While no names were cited, it was suggested they’re casting their eye over several elite European clubs who could be vulnerable to a raid.
Three specific clubs were mentioned – PSG, Atletico Madrid and Juventus.
Atletico are in a financial hole after failing to make it out of their group in the Champions League. Juve, meanwhile, have hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons after being handed a 15-point deduction for alleged financial irregularities and false accounting with regards to historic transfer dealings. Juventus will appeal the decision.
A sale or two could also be on the cards with Brighton exploring a cheeky midfield swoop. Furthermore, centre-half Nat Phillips could be on the move.
The 26-year-old is a lowly fifth-choice in the pecking order and the Mail reported Liverpool are ‘in negotiations to sell the defender’.
Little else was given away despite that broad statement. However, Klopp has now added fuel to the fire.
“It depends on the offers,” said Klopp when asked about Nat Phillips’ future.
“We have to be prepared for everything. We will see.”
Phillips has come close to leaving the Reds outright on multiple occasions in the past.
He was loaned out to Bournemouth at this stage last year, though the Cherries opted against signing him on a permanent deal despite his efforts greatly aiding their successful push for promotion. A reported £15m price tag seemingly scuppered the move.
West Ham have also been linked in the past, though as yet, no concrete interest in Phillips for this month has been reported.
Whether he moves on in the final days of the winter window will depend on who comes in, what type of deal they propose, and Phillips’ own personal stance on an exit.
READ MORE: Liverpool transfer hopes rekindled as Klopp backed to fight two major clubs for dominant World Cup star