Liverpool star Mohamed Salah offers priceless reaction to Ballon d’Or snub

Date published: Thursday 2nd December 2021 8:05 - James Marshment

Liverpool's Mohamed Salah celebrates after scoring the third goal during the English Premier League match between Liverpool and Arsenal

Liverpool star Mohamed Salah offered a hilarious response to only finishing seventh in the 2021 Ballon d’Or awards, with plenty claiming the the Egyptian was harshly treated.

Salah has enjoyed an incredible year for the Reds, his standards never dropping. In scoring 32 club goals in 2021, Salah is proving time and again why he’s one of the world’s elite stars right now. His fantastic double during Wednesday’s 4-1 derby trouncing at Everton only served as a reminder of his special talents.

However, that wasn’t enough to earn him recognition on the biggest stage of all. Instead, it was Lionel Messi who took home a seventh Ballon d’Or. The PSG forward pipped Robert Lewandowski to the award, with Chelsea’s Jorginho finishing third.

Real Madrid’s Karim Benzema finished fourth, while Chelsea’s N’Golo Kante was fifth, with Cristiano Ronaldo in sixth.

Salah’s tally was the same as Messi going into the ceremony on Monday night. But his double against Everton now sees the Egyptian surpassing him on 34 goals for 2021.

His snub certainly infuriated Jurgen Klopp; now the player himself has offered an amusing reaction to only finishing seventh.

Mohamed Salah in comical reaction

“I have no comment,” he replied after bursting out laughing.

He was then asked if he could finish higher in 2022, to which he responded: “Hopefully, you never know!”

Thierry Henry, reflecting on Salah’s reaction, continued: “He’s letting his football do the talking.”

Of course, with Salah’s deal expiring in summer 2023, his latest double will only strengthen his claims to a huge payrise at Anfield.

Time is therefore still on Liverpool’s side to find a breakthrough and Salah’s recent revelation that he wishes to end his career at Anfield will settle their nerves.

Nonetheless, football is a money-driven business. And speaking to the Liverpool Echo, former Reds right-back Glen Johnson claims owners FSG would be seriously tempted by a “silly offer” for Salah.

Barcelona and Real Madrid had previously been linked before the pandemic hit their finances hard. That will likely spare John W. Henry and co from having to make a difficult decision. But if a huge offer arrives, Johnson thinks Salah could be sold.

“We know when Liverpool renew players and when they sign players, it’s all about numbers and stats,” said Johnson. “They’ll only do it if their computer says so.

“They have got the new deal coming along, he will demand big wages and he is getting older. If they get offered a silly amount of money transfer fee wise, it might be tempting, but you just don’t know. We just have to see what the deal that is offered is when it comes.

Messi knows he faces tough Salah competition

Although Mohamed Salah is happy to laugh off the snub, Messi knows he will face strong competition from Salah and others next year.

“Salah will have opportunities in the years to come,” he said after winning the award. “Both players [Salah and Lewandowski] are at their best at the moment and will have more chances to win it.”

Salah, however, was imperious at Goodison. His goals took him to 13 for the season and he was asked after the game for his targets for the season.

As is typical of the man, he is only thinking about success for Liverpool ahead of personal accolades.

“Hopefully for many more,” he said. “My first target is to win something with the club – Champions League, Premier League, hopefully both – and that will be good for everyone.”

READ MORE‘On a different planet’ – Thierry Henry picks three players who can make Liverpool ‘unstoppable’

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM