Report details massive Liverpool bid for top Chelsea, Bayern Munich target

Date published: Thursday 14th October 2021 6:59 - James Holland

Federico Chiesa Juventus

Reports in Italy have revealed that Liverpool tabled a huge offer for Chelsea target Federico Chiesa this summer.

The 23-year-old played a big role in Italy’s European Championship triumph earlier this year. He scored important goals against Austria and Spain on the Azzurri’s route to the final.

Chiesa has also been in great form for Juventus. He registered 15 goals and 11 assists in all competitions last term, despite the club’s poor league finish.

The pacy forward opened his account for the current campaign against Spezia on September 22. He also scored the winner against Chelsea in the Champions League group stage a week later.

Shortly after the Euros final, Chiesa was linked with a Premier League switch. Both Liverpool and Chelsea were said to be considering huge bids.

Italian outlet TuttoJuve (via Sport Witness) have now reported that a major offer was made.

Liverpool supposedly put down between €80m and €100m (£67.7m-£84.6m) for Chiesa’s services. Their bid was matched by German champions Bayern Munich.

Juve opted to retain the Italy star, rather than cash in. He is viewed as an integral part of the team as they aim to win back the Serie A crown.

The player is just over halfway through a two-year loan from Fiorentina. Juve will make the deal permanent next summer for a reported €60m (£54m).

Chiesa was asked about the Liverpool and Chelsea links in September. Rumours had intensified following suggestions of a rift with manager Max Allegri.


Wrong time, wrong place: Salah, Vardy and Ronaldo the picks of this crazy offer


“I’ve never had a problem with the coach,” Chiesa told Amazon Prime Italia. “This was just created by the media. I do whatever he asks, there’s no issue here.

“I know you lot like it when Juve start the season badly, so you can start with pointless gossip. But we are all behind the coach and want to bring Juve back to the years of dominating the Scudetto race.”

Liverpool legend makes huge Salah claim

Former Liverpool striker Ian Rush believes Mo Salah is right up there with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

The Egyptian has nine goals from as many games this term. He looks set for another impressive season in front of goal.

Salah’s form will be integral if Jurgen Klopp’s men are to win back either the league or UCL.

In an interview with Liverpool Echo, Rush said: “I’ve said this before, right, at the present moment, on current form, Mo Salah is the best player in the world!”

“Cristiano Ronaldo has gone to Manchester United and yes, he is doing OK.

“Lionel Messi has gone to Paris Saint-Germain and it has taken a bit of time to settle in but Salah has taken it to a different level.

“I spoke to Mo last season and he told me he wants to be the best in the world.

“Of course he has scored great goals and he was the fastest to 100 goals, that is all great. Fantastic. But he is playing for the team as well.”

READ MORE: Raphinha agent stokes Leeds United fears with new Liverpool confirmation

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM