Damaging Man City raid gains momentum as three Euro giants plot moves despite contract discussions
Manchester City are hopeful of tying Julian Alvarez down to a new contract, but three European giants are interested in signing him, TEAMtalk has been told.
Alvarez joined City from Argentinian outfit River Plate in January last year. According to Sky Sports, he cost Pep Guardiola’s side €17million (£14m).
Alvarez spent the remainder of the 2021-22 campaign back on loan at River Plate before linking up with City in the summer. He has impressed during 31 appearances for City so far, having notched 10 goals and three assists in that time.
The 23-year-old rarely gets to play in his favoured centre-forward position due to Erling Haaland. Alvarez either plays as more of a wide forward or is selected to lead the attack when Haaland is rested.
Alvarez got a big chance to shine while representing Argentina at the Qatar World Cup. He ousted Lautaro Martinez as Lionel Scaloni’s first-choice striker and bagged four goals on their route to World Cup glory.
Despite Alvarez only recently joining the Citizens, and the fact club officials rate him very highly, there have been rumours he might depart the Etihad.
READ MORE: Man Utd eye move for former Man City man with Ten Hag sensing deal to put Bellingham, Rice in shade
Spanish journalist Dario Montero claims the goalscorer is unhappy at City and could push for a transfer this summer. Barcelona have been named as potential suitors.
On February 28, Fabrizio Romano revealed how Guardiola’s side have offered Alvarez a one-year contract extension. It would see his deal extend from 2027 to 2028.
Man City star the subject of contract negotiations
Transfer insider Graeme Bailey has told TEAMtalk that City are trying to organise a new contract for their player to reward him for his performances, rather than to put off interest from other teams.
However, Barca are no longer the only European heavyweights who want him, with Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain joining the pursuit.
“Julian Alvarez has developed into an interesting situation at Manchester City,” Bailey said.
“Despite the fact this is his first proper season with the club, having only signed last January, Alvarez is recognised as a massive part of their future.
“The likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain have been alerted to the fact that the Argentine World Cup winner may be unsettled due to his playing time, or lack of it. He has started just six league games so far this season.
“City deny that there are any issues with the player, but confirm that Alvarez is in talks over a new deal. It is an interesting situation, but City insist that a new contract is merely a recognition of his progress.
“The one thing we do know is that City firmly see Alvarez as part of the club’s future.”
Bailey then provided an update on Alvarez’s team-mate Rico Lewis. The 18-year-old is enjoying a breakout season with 17 matches already under his belt.
While Alvarez’s future is uncertain, Lewis appears set to agree fresh terms at City.
“The same can also be said of his team-mate Rico Lewis – he is also a big part of their future, and like Alvarez has been offered a new deal, but his talks are going somewhat smoother,” Bailey added.
“Indeed, City hope that Lewis will soon put pen-to-paper on his new long-term deal.”
Meanwhile, Mikel Arteta’s plan to sign Declan Rice for Arsenal ahead of Chelsea and City has been revealed.