Manchester City have been told that adding an Atletico Madrid defender to their ranks this summer would give them a ‘substantial improvement’ over long-serving star Kyle Walker.
Pep Guardiola appears to have been phasing the England man out of his side in the second half of the season after implementing a tactical switch of using an ‘inverted’ full-back who can move into midfield in possession, something the Spaniard is not as comfortable at as John Stones.
And now it appears that a new right-back could be Etihad bound, judging by City’s interest in Atletico’s Nahuel Molina.
The Argentina international is said to have ‘undergone an incredible change’ since he returned from the World Cup, with his outstanding form not going unnoticed.
Reports from Spain claim that City have been closely following the 25-year-old, with Molina viewed as an ‘ideal option’ to provide competition for the right-back position.
The World Cup winner is currently valued at €23m but Los Rojiblancos will almost certainly be demanding a figure more in the region of €60m.
Indeed, the report adds that Atletico will only part ways with the defender, who has previously been linked with Chelsea, if they receive ‘good income’ from a summer exit.
City ready to pay up for Molina
It’s also claimed that Etihad chiefs will have no issues paying what the LaLiga club are demanding and that Molina‘s arrival will actually give them a ‘substantial improvement’ to their current right-back options.
And while that appears harsh on Walker, who has made almost 250 appearances for City, it appears that Guardiola feels it is time for a change – and Molina could well be the answer.
However, at this stage, there has been no offer from City for the player, although they will continue to monitor Molina in the closing stages of the campaign.
City are back in action on Tuesday night when they head to Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final.