Man City could look to bring in a top-class Napoli star next summer after he issued a come-and-get-me plea.
Pep Guardiola’s men are hoping for another trophy-laden campaign in 2021-22. Last season they lifted the Premier League title and beat Tottenham to the Carabao Cup. They also reached the Champions League final but lost in Porto to Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea.
Their hopes of an early triumph this time around were ended by West Ham. The Irons beat Man City on penalties in the fourth round of the Carabao Cup. That result ended Guardiola and co’s four-season dominance of the competition.
They will now turn their attention back to the league. City host Patrick Vieira’s Crystal Palace at the Etihad on Saturday afternoon.
The Citizens have been linked with a number of top stars heading into 2022. It’s been claimed that they are monitoring Barcelona’s Frenkie De Jong.
The Dutchman has been one of their best players during a tough few years. He certainly fits the profile Guardiola wants and would undoubtedly improve City’s midfield.
However, the Catalan manager will have to beat one of his former clubs to the 24-year-old. Bayern Munich also share an interest and could bid next year.
Meanwhile, City have been handed a boost in their pursuit of a defensive stalwart. Napoli man Kalidou Koulibaly has revealed that he would be open to joining in the future.
Manchester City eyeing up move for Toni Kroos
Manchester City are reportedly eyeing up a move for Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos, with more news on Donny van de Beek and Ferran Torres.
The centre-back said (via Express): “If I decided to leave Napoli, I would only do it for two, maximum three clubs in the world. I’m talking about [Pep] Guardiola’s Manchester City, Real Madrid and Barcelona at the most.”
Koulibaly also rejected the idea of joining an Italian rival. “Me at Juventus? Are you crazy? I would never play for another Italian club. I would never go to Juventus, I would not betray the Napoli fans.”
It looks like City have a good chance of landing the 30-year-old, should he decide to move on. Napoli have previously slapped a £100million price tag on his head, but this will now be reduced as he is older.
Guardiola explains what his future looks like
In Friday’s press conference, Guardiola was asked about the prospect of staying in Manchester for another 200 games – as the Palace clash marks his 200th match as City boss.
The tactician simply said ‘no’, before adding: “I have had many years here, 200 games is for many years and because we won some games.
“There are no secrets. We are judged for the results – not for how good we are or bad we are. Just for the results.
“You can get this milestone because of what we have done decent with the players.
“I don’t have any regrets. I could not ask any more than we have done so far and I am more than delighted with what we have lived together. Hopefully in the years, we can continue to do well.”
The former midfielder has previously revealed his desire to become an international coach once he leaves City.