A report claims Manchester City are set to reward Ferran Torres with an improved deal to more than double his current weekly wage.
The 21-year-old is now in his second season with the Premier League champions. He inked a five-year contract in the summer of 2020 when City paid Valencia £20.8m for his services. The Spain international bagged 13 goals from 36 appearances in all competitions last term.
Pep Guardiola handed him 15 top-flight starts and he responded by finding the net on seven occasions as the Citizens romped to the title. He started 2021-2022 in decent form, with three goals from seven outings before injury struck.
Torres is currently sidelined after breaking a metatarsal bone while on international duty earlier this month. The initial prognosis suggested he could be back in action after six weeks.
However, the club revealed on Friday that the man with 12 Spain goals will probably not be seen until the new year. City have not suffered in his absence, winning their two league games since his injury by a combined score of 6-1.
They took out Burnley 2-0 before dispatching high-flying Brighton 4-1 on Saturday. That left the Etihad giants second in the standings and two points adrift of table-topping Chelsea.
But they will want Torres back in the ranks as soon as possible to keep up the charge both domestically and in Europe. Guardiola clearly rates the starlet and The Daily Star state that City will add two years to his present contract.
That means he will be under contract until the summer of 2027. And his £40,000-per-week salary will increase to more than £100,000 as club bosses reward his progression.
Manchester City latest team interested in Denis Zakaria
Manchester City are the latest team reportedly interested in Borussia Monchengladach midfielder Denis Zakaria, with more news on Pep Guardiola and Raheem Sterling.
Torres on Real radar
Torres’ form for club and country has attracted the attention of one club in particular in his homeland. The Foios-born ace has scored eight times for La Roja this year and Real Madrid are said to be keen.
It was reported earlier this month that Los Blancos have already made four separate approaches for the player. The LaLiga giants are said to have made their last enquiry as he pondered a switch to the north west of England.
They clearly rate the Spaniard and the lure of playing for the Bernabeu outfit will be huge. City do not want to lose him and are protecting their asset with a new deal.
The report does not state if there is a release clause in the fresh contract. But any suitor would have to dig deep to secure his signature.