Manchester United

Manchester United

Premier League • England

Carlo Ancelotti waves off Casemiro to Manchester United as Real Madrid accept €70m transfer offer

Casemiro Real Madrid August 2022

Casemiro is expected to be announced as a Manchester United player over the weekend after Real Madrid accepted the terms of the transfer offer from the Old Trafford club.

The 30-year-old midfielder had already agreed personal terms with United after they made their interest known earlier this week.

Spanish outlet Marca were the source of the original story, saying on Tuesday the Red Devils were considering a move for Casemiro this month.

Progress on a deal has moved quickly over the last 24 hours with United believed to be offering a significant salary.

Spanish football expert Guillem Balague has claimed that Casemiro has told team-mates that United’s contract offer to him is worth twice as much as his annual salary of €10m.

And now Fabrizio Romano has goon “here we go” on Casemiro’s transfer to United.

The clubs have agreed a €60m fixed fee with a further €10m in add-ons. The Brazilian will pen a four-year deal, with a further option until 2027.

Casemiro is expected to travel to England to pass a medical, while United will need a visa for the 63-cap Brazil international.

But any hope United fans had of seeing Casemiro in action against Liverpool will be dashed. The move is unlikely to be completed in time for the player’s visa to be granted.

Real boss Carlo Ancelotti did not want to lose the player, who made 48 appearances for the club last season. He was a starter in the 1-0 Champions League final win over Liverpool and put in a superb 90-minute display.

Casemiro hunting for ‘new challenge’

But, speaking on Friday, the Italian coach confirmed the player wants “to try a new challenge”.

“I talked to him this morning,” Ancelotti said. “He wants to try a new challenge, a new opportunity. I and the club understand it.

“With what he’s done at this club and the person he is, we have to respect it. There are talks right now, nothing is official, but he wants to leave.

“We wish him all the best in his next challenge.”

United boss Erik ten Hag refused to comment on Casemiro at his news conference on Friday, saying: “I cannot tell anything.”

Casemiro has been with Real since 2013 and has won three La Liga titles and five Champions Leagues. He was not named in the squad to face Celta Vigo in La Liga on Saturday.

READ MORE: Casemiro: Ten Hag told why he should worry after Brazil-based expert tells Man Utd exactly what they’re signing