Manchester United have failed to hijack a deal for Red Bull Salzburg striker Karim Adeyemi, according to report from Germany.
Erik ten Hag has agreed to take over at Old Trafford next season and already he appears to be working behind the scenes. The Ajax boss has made it clear that one of the conditions of him taking over from Ralf Rangnick is that he has control over transfers.
“I am ultimately responsible and accounted for the results. I don’t want to be the sole ruler, I stand for cooperation, but control in transfers is a condition for me,” Ten Hag told Trouw.
And 20-year-old striker Adeyemi is understood to have caught his eye. The youngster has been in superb form and managed 21 goals and seven assists in all competitions. That prompted Ten Hag to give United officials the green light to approach Adeyemi.
And Sport1 chief reporter Patrick Berger has claimed that Manchester United made an offer to Adeyemi, who is under contract until 2024.
Berger says he player “turned down a top offer” of around £150,000 per week from United officials. Instead the player’s heart is set on a move to German Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund.
Manchester United tried to hijack Borussia Dortmund’s upcoming transfer deal with Karim Adeyemi. The player turned down a top offer (£150k salary per week) as he always wanted to join #BVB. The striker will sign a 5-year-contract without release clause in the coming days. @SPORT1
— Patrick Berger (@berger_pj) May 3, 2022
BVB are expected to sell Erling Haaland for big money this summer and Adeyemi is seen as the natural successor.
Salzburg have Karim Adeyemi replacement lined up
Adeyemi is all set to join Borussia Dortmund, with Berger reporting a five-year contract will be penned in the coming days.
The one slight sticking point could be the fee because Adeyemi does not have a release clause.
BVB chief Hans-Joachim Watzke confirmed their interest in the young Germany international last week.
“If he came, we would try to do it without a release clause. But I will not give a water level report. We’re not under any pressure. I think the player has more or less conveyed the feeling that he wants to join BVB.
“We have to manage that somehow,” Watzke told 19:09 – der schwarzgelbe Talk, via Ruhr Nachrichten.
Salzburg in turn are set to sign Brazilian striker Fernando from Shakhtar Donetsk. Fernando will be unveiled on July 1, according to Fabrizio Romano.