Manchester United

Manchester United

Premier League • England

‘Real contender’ emerges alongside Ten Hag, Pochettino at Manchester United

Edy Reja Albania Coach Luis Enrique

Spain boss Luis Enrique is a “real contender” to take over the reins at Manchester United this summer, claims a report.

While Erik ten Hag and Mauricio Pochettino are the favourites to succeed Ralf Rangnick, Enrique is a live outsider. The 51-year-old former Barcelona boss is currently the head coach of the Spain national team.

He was very well respected in Catalonia, winning two LaLiga titles and a Champions League. He left the Camp Nou in 2017 and was appointed as Spain coach in 2018.

And according to the Daily Mail, they say sources suggest he is a “real contender” at United. He is well thought of by the United hierarchy.

Only last month ESPN claimed Man Utd chief executive Richard Arnold and the club’s Glazer family owners were considering going after Enrique.

His track record is hard to ignore. He led Barcelona to a treble in the 2014/15 campaign. As such, United officials felt he would be able to deal with world-class talent.

Of course, one major issue will revolve around the World Cup in Qatar in November and December 2022.

Enrique has guided Spain to the finals with six wins, one draw and one defeat in Group B. That will mean that the Gijon-born coach will be otherwise engaged for at least six weeks from mid-November.

The tournament takes place from November 21 to December 18. And teams will be looking to acclimatise at least two weeks before the tournament.

Man United and Aston Villa should compete for Kalvin Phillips

Man United and Aston Villa should compete for Kalvin Phillips

Ex England goalkeeper David James says Manchester United and Aston Villa should compete for Kalvin Phillips from Leeds United

 

Of course the Premier League will take a break of more than six weeks in the 2022-23 to accommodate the tournament.

Enrique contract up in December

It remains to be seen just how United officials and Enrique could make an appointment work. His future as coach of the national team is far from assured.

 

Enrique signed a three-year contract that would keep him in charge until the end of the 2022 World Cup.

Asked why he has not penned a new deal, he said this week, via beINsports: “I’m in heaven. Not renewing, I’ve done it for you [the media]. As I’m not going to have a contract [after the FIFA World Cup], if things go wrong in the [FIFA] World Cup, you won’t have to ask me to be fired any more.

“I feel super supported by both the president and Molina. They signed me not once but twice.

“In the circumstances in which I came back, I will never forget it. I am going to fulfil my commitment, which is until after the [FIFA] World Cup.”

READ MORE: ‘It’s true’ – Wrinkle in Man Utd pursuit of Ten Hag confirmed despite ‘positive’ move