Man Utd in contact over shock midfield signing, as Eriksen injury prompts Atletico, Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and Bayern enquiries
A devastating Christian Eriksen injury blow has sparked the very real prospect of late-window fireworks at Man Utd, and a report has claimed contact has been made over an Atletico Madrid signing amid further enquiries into Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and PSG.
Manchester United confirmed earlier on deadline day Eriksen will be out of action until late-April to early-May. The classy Dane suffered an ankle injury when recklessly fouled by Reading’s Andy Carroll on Saturday.
Addressing the bitter blow on Tuesday, Ten Hag admitted signing a replacement with such a short space of time remaining in the window will be difficult. The deadline for English clubs is 11pm tonight.
Ten Hag said: “As you said, on deadline day it’s difficult, you can’t make policy on such bad injuries but we have players in the midfield department, good players. We have players who can fill the gap.”
On Eriksen specifically, the Dutch manager added: “I think you can never fill that [gap] because every player has his own characteristics, and identity, another player will always fill it in in a different way but that doesn’t mean you have to be less successful.”
He continued: “It’s quite clear Christian Eriksen brings top quality to our squad and especially he has some specifics that are hard to replace, for instance his such his impact in the final third with his final ball”
Ten Hag is clearly not giving too much away regarding potential arrivals, and with good reason too. If he and Man Utd make it abundantly clear they’re desperate for a new face, selling clubs will hike up their demands.
However, according to the Telegraph, Man Utd will in fact explore a last-ditch loan move for an Eriksen replacement.
Man Utd want late midfield loan signing
The newspaper stated “the club will try and bring in a midfielder on loan due to the long-term injury to Christian Eriksen.”
The Manchester Evening News touted a reignited move for Frenkie de Jong, though that’s likely to have to wait until the summer at the earliest.
Instead, the Telegraph report Man Utd have been in contact with the representatives of Atletico Madrid’s ultra-versatile Yannick Carrasco. Furthermore, it’s claimed United have been ‘offered’ the player.
The 29-year-old Belgian has already become part of a transfer agreement this month when used as bait in Memphis Depay’s move to Atletico.
As part of that deal, Barcelona inserted a ‘non-mandatory’ buy option that allows them to sign Carrasco in the summer for around €20m.
The report claims Barcelona do intend to trigger the option, though that’s not to say United couldn’t loan Carrasco for the next six months in the meantime.
However, Ten Hag himself is understood to be ‘unsure’ on the move, especially as Carrasco has rarely played in central areas.
In any case, United have embarked on a ‘mad scramble’ to sign a suitable replacement on loan and have reportedly opened dialogue with Barcelona, PSG and Real Madrid, as well as Atletico.
Aside from being offered Carrasco, it’s claimed their efforts thus far have not borne fruit.
But with the hours quickly ticking down, expect more and more potential midfield loanees to emerge on United’s radar.
Indeed, Sky Germany’s Florian Plettenberg subsequently reported both Man Utd and Chelsea have explored a move for Bayern Munich’s Marcel Sabitzer ‘today’. Fabrizio Romano added his take, confirming United have ‘approached’ Bayern over Sabitzer.
If the Red Devils find what they’re looking for, don’t be surprised to see a last-gasp move sanctioned.
READ MORE: Ten Hag leading Man Utd charge for world class midfielder after brutal injury blow threatens to derail season