Former Manchester United winger Nani says he has tried to speak with Cristiano Ronaldo and wants his Portuguese compatriot to stay at Old Trafford.
Earlier this month in was revealed that Ronaldo had asked to leave United. He has since not been seen at pre-season training and he missed the club’s tour of Asia and Austrailia.
The club have granted him time off due to a “family issue”. And publicly Erik ten Hag has claimed he wants the 37-year-ol to stay at the club.
“We are planning with Cristiano Ronaldo for this season, that’s it,” said the Dutch boss last week.
But the chances of Ronaldo staying seem slim, He is looking to play again in the Champions League. The striker is also understood to have been concerned by United’s lack of new arrivals after a sixth-placed finish last term.
Ronaldo blasted 24 goals on his return to the club last term and Nani believes the United icon should stay.
“I hope [he stays],” said Nani, who played against United last week after signing for Melbourne Victory.
“He’s an important player and a player who always makes a difference. I hope he’s in a good mood to help the club so hopefully [he’ll stay].”
Nani said he tried to get in touch with Ronaldo, but has not been able to speak with the veteran.
“When he’s on vacation he doesn’t answer the phone to anybody,” Nani said. “I tried to talk to him, but he said: ‘I’m so busy now, we’ll talk soon.'”
Nani wants United ‘back to where they belong’
Speaking about last Friday’s game, which Manchester United won 4-1, Nani added: “It was an emotional moment for me,’ said Nani, who won 12 trophies as a United player before leaving in 2015.
“I hope the club can get back to where they belong.”
Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes has been working overtime to trying to find a new destination for Ronaldo, who remains under contract at Old Trafford.
Mendes is understood to have already rejected two offers, according to Fabrizio Romano. A lucrative deal to play in Saudi Arabia and a deal in MLS.
Mendes has also spoken to Chelsea chief Todd Boehly, but the club are believed to have passed on the opportunity, according to The Guardian.
Bayern Munich have distanced themselves from such a transfer and a return to Sporting has been called “fake news”, as per Romano.