Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher listed just two of Manchester United’s signings over the past decade as successful as the fallout from their disastrous start to the new season continued.
After suffering a home loss to Brighton in their season opener, the Red Devils were then thrashed 4-0 at Brentford on Saturday to sit bottom of the Premier League table after two games.
That has led to some serious doubt over how things have gone so wrong since Sir Alex Ferguson retired back in 2013.
Numerous managers have come and gone since with no league titles to show but plenty of money spent by much-criticised owners the Glazer family.
And, speaking on Monday Night Football, United legend Neville and former Liverpool defender Carragher could only name two players signed over the last decade that have actually been successful.
The duo only picked out Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Bruno Fernandes as either performing on the pitch or proving value for money.
Too many misses not enough hits
Neville said: “It has been one of the problems United have had for 10 years, they have flip-flopped between different managers and different strategies and allowed managers to influence the actual overall recruitment.
“That has been a massive issue, we looked at the last 10 years of major signings at the club, we removed third goalkeepers and some of the younger players.
“But £1.25billion has been spent and we categorised them – we did it together, some do not agree.
“We think there are only two signings at this moment in time that you could say have been good value and performed at a level and, to be fair, Fernandes has gone off the boil a little bit, but because of the numbers he hit in the last couple of seasons you would have to say that worked, and Ibrahimovic – obviously that worked.
“Cristiano Ronaldo would have been a green (success). But what has happened in the last month, he wants to leave, the confusion over him – it is a nightmare scenario and it is not working.”
Old Trafford now a graveyard for players
Neville, who commentated on the defeat at Brentford, continued his analysis, labelling Old Trafford a “graveyard” for players.
“It is a horror story from a recruitment point of view,” he added.
“I know there is a big call for blaming the players. And we have blamed the players a lot over the last 10 years. I was excited about those players coming to the club as many people were.
“Even last year with Jadon Sancho, Rafael Varane, Ronaldo – great signings. When (Angel) Di Maria came, we said it would be a great signing.
“But it has become a graveyard for football players this football club. Where players are considering whether to even come to the club, they can’t get players in.”
Despite criticising the players, Neville once again hinted at the ownership of the club causing the main issues.
“When a school is underperforming and getting poor results regularly over a period of time they get put in special measures by government and the kids don’t get blamed,” he said.
“That is where Manchester United are. It is special measures and you can’t blame the kids any more.”