Manchester United

Manchester United

Premier League • England

Milinkovic-Savic delivers emphatic response to reports of Rangnick wish

Sergej Milinkovic.Savic, Lazio midfielder with a tremendous moustache before Serie A game with Udinese

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has opened up on his future at Lazio amid claims he is the man Ralf Rangnick wants as Paul Pogba’s long-term replacement at Manchester United.

The 26-year-old midfielder has been on United’s radar for a few years now; their interest dating back to the Jose Mourinho era. However, no move has ever materialised with the Serbian going from strength-to-strength in Italy.

Now though Milinkovic-Savic once again finds himself linked with a fresh move to Old Trafford. As per reports earlier this week, he’s a player much admired by Rangnick and seen as a prospective successor to Pogba.

Pogba’s future at United remains in some doubt with his contract running down. In a matter of days, he’ll be able to negotiate a free transfer move overseas. That said, a report on Wednesday outlined two options open to Pogba ahead of the January window.

With United seemingly planning for his exit, the name of Milinkovic-Savic has been brought sharply back into focus. Indeed, reports of a bust-up with Lazio coach Maurizio Sarri has heightened those transfer links.

But Milinkovic-Savic has moved to play down reports linking him with a move away from the Serie A club.

The midfielder wrote on Instagram: ‘I see lot of rumours about me but… I don’t care! I just want Lazio to win.’

Sarri has also opened up on claims of a falling out with his midfielder.

“I only had one fight with Luis Alberto, four months ago,” Sarri said.

“Now, I’m reading one of the biggest fake news, that I had a fight with Milinkovic-Savic. I don’t think so.”

Agent fuelling Milinkovic-Savic exit talk

Despite denials from both player and manager, reports in Italy claim there are growing fears that Milinkovic-Savic is ready to leave.

Indeed, Il Messaggero are adamant that a parting of ways seems inevitable, especially in light of comments made by his agent.

Indeed, his representative – the former Chelsea striker Mateja Kezman – claims a “new adventure” is on the cards for his client.

“He is a great club player,” said Kezman.

“Soon the time will come for him to live a new adventure and new dreams.”

READ MORELingard decision will ‘anger fans’ as pundit explains star’s stance on Man Utd exit